Professional Soldiers ģ

Professional Soldiers ģ (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Early Bird (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Right To Repair (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55086)

Ret10Echo 09-18-2020 08:57

Right To Repair
 
At first this seemed rather odd but I believe this is spillover from Tesla and Musk's absolute control over vehicles they produce for the life of the vehicle and then afterward (salvage) as well.

Interesting from a technological perspective as well as the ongoing question of data-ownership. This will also spill into the big-brother and government system when all the states turn to mileage taxes on motor vehicles in order to levy taxes.


Quote:

Massachusetts Right to Repair

WHAT THE ISSUE IS

This November, Massachusetts voters will have the opportunity to vote for a ballot initiative that would provide them with access to their mechanical data and would permit them to share that data with the repair shop of their choice. Specifically, this ballot initiative would require:

Prospective owners of motor vehicles to receive a notice when they purchase a vehicle that includes an explanation of motor vehicle telematics and its purposes, a description summarizing the mechanical data collected, stored, and transmitted by a telematics system and the ownerís ability to access the vehicleís mechanical data through a mobile device and ownerís right to authorize an independent shop to access the mechanical data for the purposes of diagnostics repair and maintenance.



Right to Repair dot org

Auto care dot org

PSM 09-18-2020 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ret10Echo (Post 662510)
At first this seemed rather odd but I believe this is spillover from Tesla and Musk's absolute control over vehicles they produce for the life of the vehicle and then afterward (salvage) as well.[/URL]

Not sure that they are that tight on salvage. A couple of years ago Rep. Tom Massie (R-KY) salvaged an S model's batteries and used them to replace the lead-acid batteries to power his home. He made a video of the process: https://www.*******.com/watch?v=qpPYkqpe-Ms

BTW, We're switching from lead-acid to lithium next week (I hope) to power our house. From 24 batteries that need some monthly maintenance to 3 that don't. :lifter

cbtengr 09-18-2020 11:40

This has been going on for a number of years with farm equipment.

https://www.magzter.com/article/Busi...S-A-JOHN-DEERE

Ret10Echo 09-18-2020 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 662517)
Not sure that they are that tight on salvage. A couple of years ago Rep. Tom Massie (R-KY) salvaged an S model's batteries and used them to replace the lead-acid batteries to power his home. He made a video of the process: https://www.*******.com/watch?v=qpPYkqpe-Ms

BTW, We're switching from lead-acid to lithium next week (I hope) to power our house. From 24 batteries that need some monthly maintenance to 3 that don't. :lifter

Check out Rich Rebuilds on that video channel... Richiebkid I think on Insta___.. on Tesla controls and shutting down rapid charging etc..

It's not about pulling parts but about repairing ones that have salvage title and getting them back on the road.

Badger52 09-18-2020 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 662517)
BTW, We're switching from lead-acid to lithium next week (I hope) to power our house. From 24 batteries that need some monthly maintenance to 3 that don't. :lifter

Awesome! Pics or it didn't happen.
:p

Flagg 09-19-2020 02:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 662519)
This has been going on for a number of years with farm equipment.

https://www.magzter.com/article/Busi...S-A-JOHN-DEERE

John Deere in by far one of the most egregious examples.

Business models for the automotive, trucking, power sports, and at equipment sectors are in absolute upheaval.

Most new product is sold at very low gross profit margin.

Manufacturers squeeze and control their dealership network small business owners to the point where the only profit generated is thru performance incentives.

If you hit target you get incentives, if you donít you starve to death.

Manufacturers push volume not so much for profit from the durable goods, but from their massive spare parts margins.

Dealerships are limited in their spare parts markup, so the only thing left is workshop service labor.

So closed systems keep dealership networks from dying.

But ******* is creating a new generation of DIY users.

Iím all for Right to Repair....but Iím also mindful that there are a few million jobs tied to sectors with ruthless and precarious financial environments.

EVs will also upend the same sectors as service requirements are a fraction of ICE.

PSM 09-19-2020 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ret10Echo (Post 662521)
Check out Rich Rebuilds on that video channel... Richiebkid I think on Insta___.. on Tesla controls and shutting down rapid charging etc..

Interesting site. I'll have to spend some time there since I'm not watching any sports (other than women's beach volleyball) any more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger52 (Post 662547)
Awesome! Pics or it didn't happen.
:p

OK, but they'll be boring.

Badger52 09-19-2020 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 662572)
OK, but they'll be boring.

Just jerkin' your chain. Nice move though.

WarriorDiplomat 10-01-2020 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 662519)
This has been going on for a number of years with farm equipment.

https://www.magzter.com/article/Busi...S-A-JOHN-DEERE

Absolutely right and the reason farmers are getting rid of the technological money pits and going back to pre tech equipment

LarryW 10-01-2020 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbtengr (Post 662519)
This has been going on for a number of years with farm equipment.

https://www.magzter.com/article/Busi...S-A-JOHN-DEERE

Absolutely a serious problem with farmers. If dealerships included free on site service calls with a brief amount of response time it would be a no-brainer for farmers to upgrade their equipment. New equipment sales would go way up. Service after the sale is a common problem in all forms of equipment retail whether farm equipment, commercial trucks, cars, etc.

Golf1echo 10-01-2020 17:28

A few years back I bought a used Isuzu box truck from Ryder, itís been a good truck and the 5.2 turbo diesel has been a great engine... been across the country several times. Recently I discovered oil in the coolant, took it to a shop and after a few days they said they couldnít work on it, the 5.2 in particular, they have no access to software or parts. Calling around several places said that. Perhaps they didnít want to work on it but that seemed very strange! Iím not sure if itís the same thing as what is being said here? I figured out of curiosity Iíd look into it.

I did find a shop that specializes in trucks and someone who I do business with also recommended them so Iím hopeful theyíll get it fixed. There are a lot of them around, puzzling...

Flagg 10-02-2020 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf1echo (Post 662868)
A few years back I bought a used Isuzu box truck from Ryder, itís been a good truck and the 5.2 turbo diesel has been a great engine... been across the country several times. Recently I discovered oil in the coolant, took it to a shop and after a few days they said they couldnít work on it, the 5.2 in particular, they have no access to software or parts. Calling around several places said that. Perhaps they didnít want to work on it but that seemed very strange! Iím not sure if itís the same thing as what is being said here? I figured out of curiosity Iíd look into it.

I did find a shop that specializes in trucks and someone who I do business with also recommended them so Iím hopeful theyíll get it fixed. There are a lot of them around, puzzling...

Closed loop firmware/software is in the best interest of manufacturer/distributor/retail networks, but they do get cracked, most commonly with Japanese ďFast and FuriousĒ type vehicles like a muscle car mod ecosystem.

But there are also designs that are done so with intent, or just expected flaws.

One personal example, with our first kid on the way(A long time ago), I bought my wife a used Mercedes S Class as it was the safest car in the world at the time.

But it had a wire loom fault, which was an issue for that particular model.

The wire loom went straight thru the block and compelled a total tear down and rebuilt as per factory/dealer.

A Mercedes trained tech I know bought a bunch of used arthroscopes(keyhole surgery) and replaced the looms without requring tear down and rebuilt.

So sometimes itís planned obsolescence(intent) and sometimes poor design while always trying to win the yin/yang battle between closed systems and ease of owner determined repair.

What little I do know about the Isuzu 5.2 is that is has a crazy high reliability/longevity rating.

It sounds like thr diesel equivalent of the old Slant 6, a really reliable understressed motor.

Ambush Master 10-02-2020 22:38

Digging into this.............Looks interesting!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07.


Copyright 2004-2021 by Professional Soldiers ģ