Professional Soldiers

Professional Soldiers (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   PT/ H2H (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Blitz only Thread (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24099)

Razor 08-18-2009 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcoad (Post 279137)
what's wrong wih using a ruck sack with sand bags or weights for squats and calves?

Never mind. Where are you going to find a ruck that would hold enough weight. How would you put on 200 - 250 lb ruck on your back

Even without the weight issues (which are partially mitigated by the lower weight used in a Blitzz), IMO dumbells would be a better choice for balance. A ruck would put the weight too far behind one's natural center of gravity. I guess one could supplement the additional weight from the hand-held dumbells with a weighted vest, or rig a behind-the-neck type sling to hang sandbags close to the body.

Just thinking out loud on this.

dac 08-19-2009 13:14

Completed Day 4 on Monday, tonight is Day 5. Here are results from Monday:

Exercise | Weight | Reps 1 | Reps 2 | Reps 3
-------------------------------
Lat Pulls | #70 | 65 | 64 | 59
Seated Rows | #60 | 69 | 64 | 56
Chest Press | #90 | 77 | 72 | 53
Bicep Curls | #25 | 76 | 63 | 59
Half Squats | #0 | 64 | 62 | 53
Hamstring Curls | #40 | 67 | 61 | 61
Knee Extensions | #50 | 74 | 75 | 69
Crunches | #0 | 66 | 45 | 40

Some notes:

1. My calves were still really tight from Friday so I switched those out for crunches.
2. I don't think I need any extra weight for free standing squats, as you can see from the numbers.
3. The Lat/Row machine just can't go faster than ~1/sec without bouncing the weights.
4. I had previously been doing front and side hanging knee raises for abs and apparently I have no endurance there. :(
5. I updated the tracking spreadsheet to make it a little prettier and have all 8 weeks on two printed pages.

Irishsquid 08-19-2009 15:22

Did day 1 yesterday. It hurt, a lot worse than I expected.

I am more than a little sore today, so maybe I should drop the weight a little bit?

I'm quickly realizing that while I've gotten considerably stronger through CF, my endurance absolutely sucks.

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-19-2009 15:27

Nice work Dac..

Are you doing squats with 0 weights added to body? My suggestion to Abs are seated with your bact to the latpullbar, pull the weight down to the front of your chest ( you can do it standing and then sit down) hold the weights there and crunch without bending at the waist. Tha actual movement is about 3 inches.. You will be able to do many, many.... Blitzzz

And a note to Irishsquid

Read the instructions and pay close attention to the Start weight determination..!/3 of what you can push once. weights are very important part of the program, and soreness does not withthe proper weights. Later be careful when increasing weight figure as written and round down if the weights don't come out to what you have available. remember that at around 100 reps a min 1lb is equal to 100 lbs of work added to the work you are already doing. Blitzzz

Irishsquid 08-19-2009 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 279432)
Later be careful when increasing weight figure as written and round down if the weights don't come out to what you have available.

That might be the problem...I rounded up. On everything but bench press, I was making right at 60 reps a minute. Hard to get anything more than that from the machines I have available to me...might be solving that problem soon, though.

Milktrckcopilot 08-19-2009 18:39

Tonight was Day 2.

Exercise/weight/reps

Leg Ext/80/81-82-86

Barbell Rows/50/89- 76-58 ( I hate this exercise) Last session I did 75-80-59

Dumbell Press/25/73-70-57

Leg Curls/50/43-41-41

Hammer Curls 5/80-73-59 ( I scored my reps again and my new goal is 96)

Abs/70/60-59-56

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-19-2009 18:48

Just a look seee...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milktrckcopilot (Post 279460)
Tonight was Day 2.

Exercise/weight/reps

Leg Ext/80/81-82-86 ---What is your goal reps here? this numbers are low to high wrong. may need to relook start weight.

Barbell Rows/50/89- 76-58 ( I hate this exercise) Last session I did 75-80-59

Dumbell Press/25/73-70-57

Leg Curls/50/43-41-41

Hammer Curls 5/80-73-59 ( I scored my reps again and my new goal is 96)

Abs/70/60-59-56

I'd say drop to two circuits for the next two sessions and then jump up to three. First phase is building endurance at warp speed. You aren't dropping below 40 per min but you're not reaching 215 degrees per sec either, and many times that is due to equipment slowing the work. Looking pretty good so far.

dac 08-19-2009 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 279432)
Are you doing squats with 0 weights added to body? My suggestion to Abs are seated with your bact to the latpullbar, pull the weight down to the front of your chest ( you can do it standing and then sit down) hold the weights there and crunch without bending at the waist. Tha actual movement is about 3 inches.. You will be able to do many, many.... Blitzzz

Okay, I'll give that ab method a shot on Friday, what weight do you recommend?

With squats I have no machines in this gym so I am just free standing and going down until my knees are about 100 degrees. (not quite parallel to the ground)

Milktrckcopilot 08-19-2009 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 279461)
I'd say drop to two circuits for the next two sessions and then jump up to three. First phase is building endurance at warp speed. You aren't dropping below 40 per min but you're not reaching 215 degrees per sec either, and many times that is due to equipment slowing the work. Looking pretty good so far.

Roger, Wilco

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-19-2009 21:19

Like all things Blitz....

Quote:

Originally Posted by dac (Post 279470)
Okay, I'll give that ab method a shot on Friday, what weight do you recommend?

With squats I have no machines in this gym so I am just free standing and going down until my knees are about 100 degrees. (not quite parallel to the ground)

1/3 of what you can pull down in a crunch
.On squats I suggest using a weight Bench to squat to. Blitzzz

dac 08-20-2009 07:53

Quote:

On squats I suggest using a weight Bench to squat to.
Can you clarify please? Do you mean like sitting down on a bench?

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-20-2009 08:19

half squats...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dac (Post 279533)
Can you clarify please? Do you mean like sitting down on a bench?

Don't rest on ti but bounce off of it ...used as a stop measure, particularly in the weaker reps. (the end zone)

Irishsquid 08-20-2009 23:24

I'm now using considerably less than 1/3 of my 1rm for the bench press, and still can't seem to get much more than 40 reps in a minute. Might just take a lot of work for my upper body endurance to catch up with strength?

Bench press and "Military press," are the only things I'm having this problem with.

It should also be noted I'm using free-weights for these two lifts, as there are only 1 "machine," for each of these at the gym I go to, and said machines get cranky and "lock" the weights if I try to press too quickly.

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-21-2009 06:04

No no to two presses.

Working two of the same muscle in one circuit is discouraged. In your case military press and brenc press both blitz the triceps. too much for the triceps. Pick one... Dave

Milktrckcopilot 08-21-2009 18:05

Day 3

I adjusted the workout from 3 circuits to 2 as instructed.

Exercise/weight/reps

Leg Ext./80/83-82

Barbell Rows/50/93-83

Dumbell Press/25's/75-74

Leg Curls/50/43-41 If it's ok with Blitzz, I'm going to try 60lbs. The weight will
return(negative portion) quicker since it's heavier and I should be able to up my reps.

Hammer Curls/5's/74-72

Abs/70/58-60 (this is one of those exercises that is slow in the return due to the light weight, should I increase slightly?)

Milktrckcopilot 08-24-2009 18:27

Day 4

I started out really strong tonight. The 2nd set of barbell rows fried my biceps which hurt my hammer curls. I was trying a different grip on the leg curl machine which explains the poor result on the 2nd circuit. Here are my numbers...

Weight/Exercise/Reps/Goal Reps

80/Leg Ext/86-88/81

50/Barbell Rows/102-79/100

25's/ dumbell press/ 86-87/88

50/Leg curls/43-32/48

5's/Hammer curls/88-58/96

70/abs/66-64/60

Blitzzz, this was my 2nd day of doing only 2 circuits as per your instructions. Do you want me to make it 3 circuits for Wed. and Friday's sessions?

Irishsquid 08-24-2009 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 279668)
Working two of the same muscle in one circuit is discouraged. In your case military press and brenc press both blitz the triceps. too much for the triceps. Pick one... Dave

Having a bit of trouble deciding WHAT exercises to put in the circuit. I know I'll need bench press and lat pulls. I'm thinking shrugs, as well.

I am having to fight the temptation to throw more triceps stuff in there, as triceps is the place I need the most work.

What other exercises would you recommend I throw in there, as someone who is getting ready for SFAS?

Also, I know you say not to do this with another program...does that include calisthenics? As of now, I'm doing a fair number of flutter-kicks and such, to build the hip flexors...

Also, let me apologize if I'm asking too many questions.

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-24-2009 21:45

Response to Day 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milktrckcopilot (Post 280194)
I started out really strong tonight. The 2nd set of barbell rows fried my biceps which hurt my hammer curls. I was trying a different grip on the leg curl machine which explains the poor result on the 2nd circuit. Here are my numbers...

80/Leg Ext/86-88/81

50/Barbell Rows/102-79/100

25's/ dumbell press/ 86-87/88

50/Leg curls/43-32/48

5's/Hammer curls/88-58/96

70/abs/66-64/60

Blitzzz, this was my 2nd day of doing only 2 circuits as per your instructions. Do you want me to make it 3 circuits for Wed. and Friday's sessions?

Yes to starting third circuit but change the rows to flys as not to double up on biceps. Good going! Dave

And to Irishsquid...Triceps will do well with the chest presses . add squats and Hamstring curls and do crunches seated with the l
Lat Bar. Look further back in the thread for a discritin of that one, Also you can add heel raises seated at the Legpress machine.

Milktrckcopilot 08-25-2009 05:57

Blitzzz,

Can I keep the rows but drop hammer curls and replace them with calves (heel raises)? I'd rather lose a bicep exercise then a back exercise. I should of been more clear in saying, the rows along with the hammer curls are frying my biceps.

MTCP

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-25-2009 06:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milktrckcopilot (Post 280265)
Blitzzz,

Can I keep the rows but drop hammer curls and replace them with calves (heel raises)? I'd rather lose a bicep exercise then a back exercise. I should of been more clear in saying, the rows along with the hammer curls are frying my biceps.

MTCP

I understood...Flys are different from Rows (technical). You have much flexibility here as long as you make the choices on which exercises. You are doing fine as you noticed the affects of the double working of the Biceps..So I think calves is a good choice and certainly drop the Hammers if the Rows are working the Biceps. Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-02-2009 21:27

Feed back, please...

There are over a hundred and six persons out there with the Blitz material.. Please send me some follow ups as to how you're doing. It will help everybody to know and share these things.. Thanks Blitzzz

dac 09-03-2009 14:11

Email sent.

The only thing I don't like about this workout is the 38 steps I have to climb to get home after I finish. :D

Irishsquid 09-03-2009 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 281767)
There are over a hundred and six persons out there with the Blitz material.. Please send me some follow ups as to how you're doing. It will help everybody to know and share these things.. Thanks Blitzzz

Ashamed to admit that, due to the amount of overtime I'm getting right now, I'm having to tone down the PT until the end of the month. Any government contractors out there know how hard it is to get OT, so I couldn't turn it down when offered.

Right now, I'm only able to lift on the weekends, but still doing calisthenics every day. I'm blitzing on saturdays, and, even doing it once a week, I'm still seeing results. I can only imagine how it will change next month when I have the time to devote to it.

zippy 09-05-2009 23:57

Starting the Blitz

I've got my first Blitz in, I'm using the Terrell Owens resistance band set from Bodylastics. I do think this is going to be a good set up to use for the Biltz program. You can increase resistance by anywhere from one to three pounds at at time and there are a lot of exercises that you can do with the set. You get two sets of handles and ankle straps and that makes setting up for the circuit easy, and a door anchor set up. The bands have carabiners on the ends, so changing the resistance is quick and easy. Resistance is up to 254 lbs. so that gives plenty of room to go up, there's a color coded chart that shows you how to combine the bands, and the resulting poundage that you get from the combos. Everything fits in a 14"X14" bag, so it's portable. I tell you what, it's hard to go too heavy on these. When I'm at the right resistance, I feel everything lock in, if I go too heavy, it's off balance and awkward. I got these to do the P90X, Dave told me I wouldn't like that program....well....I think it's a good workout, but it aggravated a lot of my old injuries, lots of jumps, time under a ruck, and heavy powerlifting in my youth tends to make me careful with the knees and back ...So, I'm taking Dave's advice and going with the Blitz. I'm using a Gymboss timer...

Exercise/Weight/Goal Reps/Reps

Press /25/80/46
Upright Row /18/80/50
Chest Press /42/60/35
Seated Row /41/68/54
Squat /23/65/42
Shrug /60/80/46
Calf Raise /62/92/60
Curl /23/72/45

Then I hit abs with leg raises and the resisted crunch, using 23 lbs of resistance for three one minute sets.....Tomorrow, I'll go for two circuits, three if it's going to be there with quality...

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-06-2009 05:05

A quick look at Zippy's numbers...

Notice the first and second circuit numbers are largely diverse. It shows the endurance levels of the muscle groups. As endurance te second and third circuit numbers elevate to the goal reps speeds. Very easy to follow and access progress.
Blitzzz

Additional Note: I went to the site on the band system and will give it a thumbs up. Particually the small resisted incrementals.
Blitzzz

Constant 09-06-2009 23:53

progess report

I requested the workout program a few weeks ago and am quite satisifed with it. This is a sample of how I've been doing.

Week 1

70/Leg Ext/80/100

25/ dumbell curl/40/80

60/Leg curls/80/100

20/Hammer curls/35/80

Now at week 4 - sample

80/Leg Ext/90/100

25/ dumbell curl/90/100

75/Leg curls/100/100

20/Hammer curls/75/80

I'm quite happy with the progress. Here at the Camp I'm at, we have free weights and left overs from the Army's gym; but I did a max bench press before I started, 175 and now I am at 220. Quite happy. When I return home I'll be using bands and machines with rods at the base gym/local YMCA so I'm more in line with increments.

Blitzzz,
Thank you for this program; I was at a stand still with other workout regiments and not making any progress.

dac 09-14-2009 13:20

Last week was crappy for blitzing for me. Monday I felt like somebody jabbed an icepick in my face, Wednesday was the root canal. :D

Did a great workout on Sat and ran on Sun, picking it back up tonight. My numbers are still improving after five weeks of blitzing.

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-15-2009 22:20

Up dates...

Constant... you should be doing three circuits by week three. Sooo...get 'um started. Dac doing well it looks good.
some one said they were doing 3"sets" of crunches in a circuit. NO, NO, NO. One muscle group per exercise per circuit .
Keep it simple guy, Do the same circuit three time each session for 8 weeks.

TexasEngineer 09-16-2009 19:26

Order of Exercises in the Circut

Should I have just one circuit of 8 exercises that I use for every workout? Can you give me some different ab exercises to add in also.

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-16-2009 20:53

Your design...

I usually alternate upper then lower in the same circuit. 6 to 8 exercises can get most of what you want done. I'm not sure what you may want for Ab exercise other than the one I described earlier in this thread.
what I've found to be affective is to sit back to the lat bar or hand loops and pull them down to your chest. then with good posture just crunch (don't Bend forward) it's quick and only cruncches about 3 inches. You'll feel it.

dac 09-18-2009 18:32

My numbers are still improving at the end of week 6. I don't know how to explain really, but my muscles feel more "dense" and the wife said it looks like I'm losing weight. :eek: People in the gym look at me weird, but I don't mind.

I had a couple lame weeks during the program so I am probably going to push out to 10 weeks instead of 8 but start adding more running in.

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-18-2009 19:19

A couple of questions...

DAC... Are you doing 3 circuits?
are you bumping weight at 20% when progressing?
Just wanting to help. Dave.

dac 09-19-2009 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 284396)
DAC... Are you doing 3 circuits?
are you bumping weight at 20% when progressing?
Just wanting to help. Dave.

I am doing 3 circuits, at about 40 minutes from start to finish.

I didn't know that I was supposed to bump, when am I supposed to do that?

Fletch 09-21-2009 17:48

Feel the burn!

:lifter Blitzzz really puts it in the muscles. I also noticed that even when my muscles were 100 percent fatigued I felt 0 stress on my joints.

I started my first day on Blitzzz today, to be part of my continuous Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine. My brother was kind enough to join me, and has agreed to accompany me on Monday and Fridays. We were only able to get through two reps on our first time.

My first day's workout is as follows:

Exercise - Goal Reps - Weight - Reps1 - Reps2
High Row ----- 80 --------- 60 ------ 70 ----- 61
Seated Row - 100 -------- 50 ------ 70 ----- 60
Isolat Wide -- 76 --------- 50 ------ 64 ----- 56
Leg Press ---- 72 --------- 90 ------ 64 ----- 64
Bicep Curls --- 64 --------- 45 ------ 55 ----- 42
Heel Raises -- 88 --------- 90 ------ 76 ----- 74
Wrist Curls --- 72 --------- 20 ------ 48 ----- 39
Rev Wrist Curls - 96 ------ 20 ------ 77 ----- 65

I was doing all of these exercises with dumbells/barbells or free weight machines. No machines with stack weights and cables were used.

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-21-2009 19:09

Good one...

Fletch, this is a very good start. Three circuits usually takes a couple of days training to work up to 3. You are certainly not behind. Keep us posted here, it wil help the other guys out. Thanks.

King0331 09-23-2009 07:18

exercise selection

Im on my third Blitz workout and have chosen the following exercise: Chest Press, Squat, Pulldowns, Hamstring Curl, Lateral Raise, Calf Raise, Bicep curl and the crunches you describe. Would it be possible to remove hamstring curls and calf raises for more "functional" multi joint lower body exercises? or does this somewhat defeat the purpose?

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-23-2009 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by King0331 (Post 284950)
Im on my third Blitz workout and have chosen the following exercise: Chest Press, Squat, Pulldowns, Hamstring Curl, Lateral Raise, Calf Raise, Bicep curl and the crunches you describe. Would it be possible to remove hamstring curls and calf raises for more "functional" multi joint lower body exercises? or does this somewhat defeat the purpose?

By third workout I am assuming you mean third day.
I would suggeat not dropping the hamstring curls as it is difficult to strengthen them anyother "full functioning " way
If you have acess to a "total gym" you can do hamstring pull ups on a very low invline at first other wise you can do something similar on a regular incline bench. You hook your heels at the upper end of the incline and "slide up the incline. The seat must slide
Can do the same on a rowing machine.
Straight leg Heel raises is one little done but very helpful to all you will do. The hamstring curls will be "slower" because they are longer movement. Good Luck.

Slantwire 09-23-2009 18:53

Blitzzz, you've posted that we should hammer out a set circuit of about eight exercises, and stick with it for the entire eight weeks.

What about rotating exercises that hit the same muscle groups? Is it kosher to use a "straight" lat pulldown one day, a diverging lat pulldown the next, and a behind-the-neck pulldown on another day? Or should I pick one only, and stick with that one?

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-23-2009 21:18

A Rose by any other name...

Hey Pinhead, a lat pull is pretty much a Lat pull
Of course there are some minor variances in rotating or changing positions of hand holds but in the end the emphasis is on a specific group of Lat muscles.
I would find the one that gives you what you want and stick with it.
The focus of your question was doing other exercises that work the smae muscles....SAME MUSCLES not real need to change.

dac 09-25-2009 07:24

1 Attachment(s)
This shows up to week 7, which is not complete yet, but you get the basic idea.

I'm going to raise my weights on Monday.

Yesterday a friend of mine wanted my help in picking up 1100lbs of steel targets from a shipping company. On the drive over I was comparing this to my Blitz seated rows.

1100 / 60 = 18.3

My average for seated rows this week was 99. I decided to do the math on the weight I use and the reps. In less than 40 minutes I move over 90,000 lbs, not counting free squats and crunches. That doesn't really translate to anything in the real world, but I thought it sounded cool. :D