Professional Soldiers

Professional Soldiers (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Special Forces Group (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   SF Vets that served with F.A.N.K 1972 (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40889)

Reynaldo Castro 02-05-2013 14:10

SF Vets that served with F.A.N.K 1972

My name is Reynaldo Castro graduated SGT from USAIMA NCO Candidate Course at Ft. Bragg on 27 May 1971. Was sent to Vietnam in Jan 1972, primarily as an instructor to Forces Army National Khmer (F.A.N.K). That was my only crowning achievement in SF. Would like to make contact with SGT Benjamin Morales, Capt. Michael D. Munroe, or anyone that served at Long Hai Training Battalion.
If anyone would like to learn more about F.A.N.K. Here is a link to a Historical Study of our mission. Written by then LTC Kenneth R. Bowra. I understand he retired Major General in '05 . Here is that link to that study:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA233669

Trapper John 02-05-2013 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reynaldo Castro (Post 488568)
My name is Reynaldo Castro graduated SGT from USAIMA NCO Candidate Course at Ft. Bragg on 27 May 1971. Was sent to Vietnam in Jan 1972, primarily as an instructor to Forces Army National Khmer (F.A.N.K). That was my only crowning achievement in SF. Would like to make contact with SGT Benjamin Morales, Capt. Michael D. Munroe, or anyone that served at Long Hai Training Battalion.
If anyone would like to learn more about F.A.N.K. Here is a link to a Historical Study of our mission. Written by then LTC Kenneth R. Bowra. I understand he retired Major General in '05 . Here is that link to that study:

Reynaldo- My screen name is the same as my call sign when I was at B36/USARVITG in '71 (A362). I was a medic at the camp. Tom Rowe was also there and later so was George Miller Knew Ken Bowra when he was the Phouc Tuy camp commander. I posted Bowra's discussion of the FID mission we had in another thread. Great read.

Been looking for SGM Johnny Miller too. Heard he was a preacher in TN.:D Connected with another Brother there at the same time. He was SGM Hillmann's right hand guy. Were you there when Hillmann shot himself in the foot? I think I remember you, but not sure.

I have been corresponding with some of the higher command for the USARVITG and FANK support programs. Very interesting shit!

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you some pics and we can discuss all of this.

Great to hear from you. Welcome!

SF_BHT 02-05-2013 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reynaldo Castro (Post 488568)

Welcome to the Site.

Please Re Read your e-mail you recieved and Post an Intro as ALL are required before posting in threads....... Looking forward to future interaction and debate...... :D

Fat Albert 01-04-2014 15:02

Hey Castro,

I trained with you at Ft Bragg and Ft Huachuca. I remember Ben Morales as a real good guy but I haven't had any contact with him since Ft Bragg...if memory serves.

Hope you are doin' well and mother nature has treated you gently over the last 40 somethin' years.:) Some of us have grown bald and fat due to all the soft living, lol.

Most of my days, of late, are spent in my basement workshop making furniture for my kids and toys for the grandkids. It keeps me out of the bars so the MMFIC (wife) stays happy and off my back, lol.

Trapper John 01-05-2014 09:22

3 Attachment(s)
Youse guys will enjoy these.

Fat Albert 01-12-2014 12:38

Trapper John,

My first job with B 36 was at a place called Xyuen Moc until we were thrown out of there. When we arrived at Long Hai I was assigned to A362 commanded by Cpt Tedrick. Later, I went to a mobile training team just before Long Hai was closed.

One of your pictures looks like it was taken at Vung Tau.

Fat Albert 03-02-2014 12:26

This has been an interesting week! I heard from 2 of my A362 team mates and was given an update on a couple of others. First the bad news, the team sgt "Sweetback" was killed in an car accident after attending O&I school at FT. Huachuca but I wasn't given a time frame or location of the accident. The team CO "Flintstone", had passed away a few years ago from cancer. The good news is that I spoke to "Spitfire", the other team 11B, on the phone for 40 or so minutes last Tuesday. He has certainly had a very exciting life and he is planning a trip back to Long Hai in the spring. On Thursday, I received an e-mail from "Trashcan" our team medic. He only sent a few lines but at least I know he's still sucking air.

I had never realized how mundane my military career turn out until talking to these guys.:boohoo

Trapper John 03-02-2014 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Albert (Post 543829)
This has been an interesting week! I heard from 2 of my A362 team mates and was given an update on a couple of others. First the bad news, the team sgt "Sweetback" was killed in an car accident after attending O&I school at FT. Huachuca but I wasn't given a time frame or location of the accident. The team CO "Flintstone", had passed away a few years ago from cancer. The good news is that I spoke to "Spitfire", the other team 11B, on the phone for 40 or so minutes last Tuesday. He has certainly had a very exciting life and he is planning a trip back to Long Hai in the spring. On Thursday, I received an e-mail from "Trashcan" our team medic. He only sent a few lines but at least I know he's still sucking air.

I had never realized how mundane my military career turn out until talking to these guys.:boohoo

Albert, I was the A362 medic '71. SGM Johnny Miller and Frank Hillman were there when I was. Volunteered for FANK support inside Cambodia '72. Logistical support was through MEDTC commanded by BG Mataxis. His son was my team CO in 5th Group at Bragg in '73 (A535). Anyway that op inside Cambodia turned into a real CF. I knew several former SOG guys, 1st Group guys, and 46th Co guys that were TDY on that too - most notably Charlie Beckwith (RIP Brother).

I seem to recall CPT Tedrick before I left. The pic on the tarmac was either just outside our camp at Long Hai but I don't recall the buildings in the background so maybe it was at Vung Tau . The other I think was taken at either Phuoc Tuy or Long Hai. Gorman was the 11B on A362. I have another pic of Dolby at Long Hai holding the skull.

Dusty 03-02-2014 15:45

:cool:

Trapper John 03-02-2014 16:14

Albert - one more thing. Did you know SFC Charlie Collins? He is pictured (I think) standing far left back row with his boonie cap over his eyes in the pic of the transport team. I owe him big time and if he is still kickin' I would love to connect with him. He saved my ass when my 'bodes and I were moving to an ambush site hoping to catch a VC Company moving through the AO and came a little to close to an RF/PF outpost. They (the RF/PF) thought we were the VC and called in artillery fire on our position. Artillery had us bracketed and fortunately Collins was on duty at the TOC back in Long Hai. He was able to get the fire lifted before that third round came in on our asses.

Gorman, pictured in the other pic was in the 'bode battalion RON position. When we got back he couldn't help himself and was rolling on the ground laughing. I really didn't see the humor in it :mad:. Well, at least not until I could look back on it a few years later - it was kinda funny in a sick SF sorta way. :D

Any way if you know anything about Charlie Collins let me know.

Fat Albert 03-02-2014 19:06

Trapper,

I didn't know any of the guys you asked about but I will certainly ask the others. However, I did know an E6 at Bragg named Johnny Miller. We had belonged to the Green Beret Skydiving Club together in '71 before my deployment to RVN. Since I was initially posted at Xuyen Moc I probably missed Collins before coming to A362. IF I remember correctly, I arrived on A362 in the April-May '72 time frame.

The sad news is that Cpt Tedrick passed ,a while back, according to Spitfire at his home in WV. He didn't have much information but I was glad to hear even a small tidbit about anyone. I'll keep you up on any intel that I come across.

Trapper John 03-03-2014 07:18

Albert,

Man I am sorry to hear about CPT Tedrick (RIP Brother). He and I were from the same AO back in WV as was SGM Johnny Miller. I got a letter from him sometime in '73-'74 when I was back at Bragg. IIRC he said that there had been a series of rocket attacks on the camp in the summer of '72 and that he was wounded (leg I think). I don't recall the details, but I am left with the impression that this was a fairly serious attack and his wounds were career ending.

We used to run security patrols in the Long Hai mountains and the mountains north of Phuoc Tuy. IIRC there was evidence early in '72 of increased enemy activity in those mountains. On one of those ops we found a large cache of ammunition and rockets in a cave in the mountains north of Phuoc Tuy. This was about a month before I left. It was looking like there was going to be some shit coming down in the near future. I guess it did?

Fat Albert 03-03-2014 10:36

Trapper,

I went on R&R in September '72 and Tedrick was OK then. All the team members had a plaque made for him and I was to send it to Parkersburg when I got home. This was in anticipation of his return to the "world." If he was wounded it must have been in September time frame because when I returned from R&R I never returned to Long Hai.

The only op that I was on around the mountains was between Nui Ba Dien and the small mountain just south of the camp (don't remember it's name). We ran into a large area of pottery mines so Sweetback and I set time pencils and backed out of the area because the brass didn't want any wounded cambods. We continued south for a few days just southwest of Van Keip. WE did run into about 17 VC/NVA coming north. Being the recon element we just called in the mortars and exited the area without contact. No BDA was done.

April and May were active months due to the Easter Offensive. My camp at Xuyen Moc was hit twice, once by 82mm mortars (about a half dozen rounds) and finally by mortar and infantry but we thought that the attack was very light for a coordinated assault. When the sun came up we saw that they had mortared their assault team on their approach to the front gate. The CO at the C det. ordered us out of Xuyen Moc after that contact. Long Hai had taken a mortar attack around the same time and to my understanding the round all landed in the northern part of the camp around the barracks and Co Lac Bo next to the Vietnamese flagpole. I don't know the number of rounds received or the type but they had determined that the rounds were fired between B-36 and B-43 at the base of Nui Ba Dien. Between May and the end of August the camp was not hit but several firefights were handled by the camp security teams mostly south and west of B-36. I never heard of any action to the north of B-43.

This was the total of my experience with A 362 because when I returned from R&R I was assigned to mobile training team 2 that operated in the Song Bei and Can Tho AO. I never had the opportunity to get back to B-36.

Trapper John 03-03-2014 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Albert (Post 543916)
Trapper,

I went on R&R in September '72 and Tedrick was OK then. All the team members had a plaque made for him and I was to send it to Parkersburg when I got home. This was in anticipation of his return to the "world." If he was wounded it must have been in September time frame because when I returned from R&R I never returned to Long Hai.

The only op that I was on around the mountains was between Nui Ba Dien and the small mountain just south of the camp (don't remember it's name). We ran into a large area of pottery mines so Sweetback and I set time pencils and backed out of the AO because the brass didn't want any wounded cambods. We continued south for a few days just west of Van Keip. WE did run into about 17 VC/NVA coming north. Being the recon element we just called in the mortars and exited the AO. No BDA was done.

Gotta run so I'll be back later!

Albert-

Quote:

The only op that I was on around the mountains was between Nui Ba Dien and the small mountain just south of the camp (don't remember it's name). We ran into a large area of pottery mines so Sweetback and I set time pencils and backed out of the AO because the brass didn't want any wounded cambods.
Very interesting, I was up on that same small mountain with a recon element and ran into a shit pile of those f'kers. They were everywhere. Our AAR pointed that out and concluded that no enemy could set up to use that mountain as an attack point without alerting us to their presence. :D I think we concluded that this area was secure. I guess that little tid-bit of information never was read or believed after the change of command. ;)

As to Tedrick, I am pretty sure he was wounded in September/October. BTW I was from Parkersburg too and that is how we connected in camp before I left a month or so later.

Do you recall a large area devoid of vegetation on the mountain looking West and slightly North from the 50-cal tower? Interesting story how it got that way. :D

Fat Albert 03-03-2014 17:40

I might have a picture of that area around here somewhere. I'll have to dig through some boxes of junk to find it.

If think the communication was bad...We reported that one of the VC we saw by Van Kiep had a very unique set of pajamas which we later saw at the RF/PF outpost southeast of the front gate at Long Hai. Nothing was done! A few months later one of our convoys were ambushed by the same group.

Trapper John 03-03-2014 19:13

That sounds about par for the course. Did you guys ever have a BN of 'bodes that had been infiltrated by Khmere Rouge? The other team (A363 I think) had a new BN of 'bodes come in that had a about 50-100 Khemer Rouge. There was an incident (not sure what started it) that escalated to us in defensive positions and mortars up. Tense moments! :D

Fat Albert 03-04-2014 10:41

I'm sure the KR infiltrated all bode units just as the VC was a part of the RF/PF. The marine bn. was all straight shooters but an airborne unit was infiltrated. We had to watch our backs constantly. Their favorite game was to sneak up form behind and hit you with a T&E mechanism. This happened to me once but I was warned by Spitfire before they got close enough to carry it out. Luckily, I left for R&R the next day. I heard of no situations like you described though we did talk about it in the team house on a few occasions. This makes me believe that the brass knew more than they were saying.

Trapper John 03-04-2014 11:57

Albert-

Quote:

This makes me believe that the brass knew more than they were saying.
If you guys weren't briefed on that incident I would call that a major Command failure. I was already a bit miffed that you guys didn't know about the mines - now this! Once could be an oversight (:rolleyes:) but something as serious as KR infiltrations - that is inexcusable.:mad:

BTW did you know a SGT Wambaugh on A362? He came into camp just prior to Tedrick.

Fat Albert 03-04-2014 14:02

Trapper,

The name is very familiar but I can't put a face to it. It's been 42 years and I'm getting old...lol. He wasn't on my team but he was at Long Hai IIRC but I don't know what team. I think he was an E-6 and worked in the south part of the camp.

Dean Jarvis 03-26-2014 12:19

Trapper, this is Short Round. I was on team A-363 between Aug. 71 to April 72. We shared the south compound with your team. Not sure if you remember me. I recall your team came back from the bush once with a baby deer. I don't think it lived long.

I had my company out on our training range one night for a practice RON prior to going to the bush. We saw some gooks coming down the mountian with flashlights (if you can belive that!). We fired off the few 60mm mortar rounds we had then I called in the 4 duece mortar from camp. I had just bracketed these bad boys when all hell broke loose on the outpost. So they shifted fire to support the outpost and my gooks got away. I was under the understanding that my team seargant Pappy Webb had shot up the outpost all by himself. He hated ARVN'S. Was this the same outpost attack you're referring to?

Do you remember Kim? She was a Cambodian that I believe helped you with sick call. She married a Marine and is living in Illinois. She called me many many moons ago to let me know where she landed and told me that your old team leader had killed himself. Can't remember his name.

Anyway, I just hooked up on this website this week after I came across it and saw you were still alive and kicking.

Trapper John 03-27-2014 11:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis (Post 546281)
Trapper, this is Short Round. I was on team A-363 between Aug. 71 to April 72. We shared the south compound with your team. Not sure if you remember me. I recall your team came back from the bush once with a baby deer. I don't think it lived long.

I had my company out on our training range one night for a practice RON prior to going to the bush. We saw some gooks coming down the mountian with flashlights (if you can belive that!). We fired off the few 60mm mortar rounds we had then I called in the 4 duece mortar from camp. I had just bracketed these bad boys when all hell broke loose on the outpost. So they shiffed fire to support the outpost and my gooks got away. I was under the understanding that my team seargant Pappy Webb had shot up the outpost all by himself. He hated ARVIN'S. Was this the same outpost attack you're referring to?

Do you remember Kim? She was a Cambodian that I believe helped you with sick call. She married a Marine and is living in Illinois. She called me many many moons ago to let me know where she landed and told me that your old team leader had killed himself. Can't remember his name.

Anyway, I just hooked up on this website this week after I came across it and saw you were still alive and kicking.

Short Round- I do remember you! Damn, this is getting to be old home week around here. :lifter

Before I go on in reply, I suggest you post your bio in the Introduction thread before one of the Moderators or Admins catch up to you, and they will. :eek: You don't want the FTFSI moniker. Also, get your DD214 etc together and send it to one of the Admins and request vetting as a QP (you too Fat Albert). I'll vouch for you guys. I bet Fat Albert remembers you too.

Now to your post. Of course I remember Kim Simon. I have a pic somewhere with her and our team in front of the team house. If you can find an address or email or phone number I'd love to get in touch with her again. Send that to me in a PM if you have the info.

I am shocked and saddened with news about CPT Larry Cano (RIP Brother).

The picture I posted in post #5 you will recognize some of those mugs. Pappy Webb is on the back row, right. Mike Chappel sent me that pic, you may remember him too (pic attached).

I recall the incident with you outside the wire. I just remember another long night on the perimeter wall. Not sure what the kerfuffle was with the RF/PF outpost, but I think Pappy was involved. Enemy activity in area was on the uptick about that time and the incident I described was a few weeks or maybe a month or two later. I think that was the same one that Fat Albert was referencing where they got ambushed. The one I was referring was about 5K from Phuc Tuoy.

Did you meet Maggie and George Peppard when they came to camp? I think it was around Thanksgiving. I was taking my 'bodes out that night for extra security. She came by especially to see us and thank me with a big hug. I'll never forget that - one helluva a great lady (RIP Maggie)!

Welcome aboard Brother!

And don't forget that Introduction post!!

Trapper John 03-27-2014 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis (Post 546281)

I had my company out on our training range one night for a practice RON prior to going to the bush. We saw some gooks coming down the mountian with flashlights (if you can belive that!). We fired off the few 60mm mortar rounds we had then I called in the 4 duece mortar from camp. I had just bracketed these bad boys when all hell broke loose on the outpost. So they shiffed fire to support the outpost and my gooks got away. I was under the understanding that my team seargant Pappy Webb had shot up the outpost all by himself. He hated ARVIN'S. Was this the same outpost attack you're referring to?

Oh, and as to that dear. Well, the 'bodes ate it!. :D

Dean Jarvis 03-28-2014 06:08

3 Attachment(s)
I'm a newbe at this, so be patient with me as I go through my learning curve to navigate this web site. I'll take your advice and send in the DD214 and I'll post some pics I have.

Where do I go to find the pictures of Pappy Web?

Maggie flew out to visit us in the filed on Christmas day '71. We were in a real hot area (got my CIB on that trip) and we had captured a VC and had him tied up. As I was walking Maggie to my hooch to talk she asked me about him. I told her intelligence said he had been capture 2 other times. So Maggie said that's two to many. I took that as a suggestion to execute him. An Air America chopper came in and picked him up. She broght us a fruit cake. I understood she was drinking everyone back at Long Hai under the table. She was a great American.

Fat Albert 03-28-2014 06:51

Dean,

Glad to see that you found us! I was at Xuyen Moc from January 72 to April 72 so I'm not sure our paths crossed. With that said, I can't keep my grandkids' names straight either...lol.

Trapper, who and where do I send my 214 and I've already been vetted more than the POTUS.:)

Dean Jarvis 03-28-2014 07:32

1 Attachment(s)
Albert,

Xuyen Moc was our radio relay site we went past every time we went to the filed. Do you remember a guy by the name of Jutras? We had intelligence that Xuyen Moc was gonig to be hit and they asked for volunteers to go out there as added security. Jutras would go out there for about a week and nothing would happen. As soon as he returned to B-36 you guys would get attacked. He did this 2 or 3 times. The gooks must have known when bad boy Jutras was out there because he never saw any action and was pretty pissed off about it.

Fat Albert 03-28-2014 09:44

Dean,

I remember him very well. The VC hit us a few times but stopped after they mortared their assault team...lol. Now that's the way to fight a war.;)

I have some 8mm film with Jutras in it. I'm going to have it changed to CD and I'll send you a copy when it happens.

Dean Jarvis 03-29-2014 07:06

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached a pictures of me during a Bode graduation ceremony taken by a UPI reporter. He gave it to our camp commander, McClain? who wrote on it with a grease pencil "get a haircut" then gave it to my team CO.

Ambush Master 03-29-2014 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper John (Post 546351)
Short Round- I do remember you! Damn, this is getting to be old home week around here. :lifter

Before I go on in reply, I suggest you post your bio in the Introduction thread before one of the Moderators or Admins catch up to you, and they will. :eek: You don't want the FTFSI moniker. Also, get your DD214 etc together and send it to one of the Admins and request vetting as a QP (you too Fat Albert). I'll vouch for you guys. I bet Fat Albert remembers you too.

Now to your post. Of course I remember Kim Simon. I have a pic somewhere with her and our team in front of the team house. If you can find an address or email or phone number I'd love to get in touch with her again. Send that to me in a PM if you have the info.

I am shocked and saddened with news about CPT Larry Cano (RIP Brother).

The picture I posted in post #5 you will recognize some of those mugs. Pappy Webb is on the back row, right. Mike Chappel sent me that pic, you may remember him too (pic attached).

I recall the incident with you outside the wire. I just remember another long night on the perimeter wall. Not sure what the kerfuffle was with the RF/PF outpost, but I think Pappy was involved. Enemy activity in area was on the uptick about that time and the incident I described was a few weeks or maybe a month or two later. I think that was the same one that Fat Albert was referencing where they got ambushed. The one I was referring was about 5K from Phuc Tuoy.

Did you meet Maggie and George Peppard when they came to camp? I think it was around Thanksgiving. I was taking my 'bodes out that night for extra security. She came by especially to see us and thank me with a big hug. I'll never forget that - one helluva a great lady (RIP Maggie)!

Welcome aboard Brother!

And don't forget that Introduction post!!

TJ,
Please make commo, preferably voice or Face to Face, with these 2 Folks and Verify that they are who they claim!!

Dean,
I moved your 214 to an area that can only be observed by QPs, PerSec!!

Later
Martin

Trapper John 03-30-2014 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis (Post 546471)
I've attached some pictures of Maggie when she came out to the filed on Christmas day '71 and Jutras. The other picture is the Air America chopper that picked up our POW and a pic of me during a Bode graduation ceremony taken by a UPI reporter. He gave it to our camp commander, McClain? who wrote on it with a grease pencil "get a haircut" then gave it to my team CO.

Yep, that's right it was Christmas when Maggie visited.....and yes she did drink MAJ Lane under the table. I think he was still camp commander and the story I heard was that he made a complete ass of himself that night. You must have been outside the camp too with your 'bodes. I vaguely remember the new camp commander coming in about that time (might have been McClain). Lane was still there for a week or two after the change of command. Lane and Arlinsky (XO) were in the pic I posted with post #5 in this thread. They are squatting front row and Lane is petting JJ. The pic I have with our team (A362) and Kim Simon has JJ in it too. I'll find that pic and post it.

Dean Jarvis 04-02-2014 06:28

2 Attachment(s)
TJ

Here's a few more pics. You may recognize some of the people. The Tank hit a mine on one of our training ranges. I'm thinking I should have gotten the Darwin award for walking around it taking pictures. Who know's there might have been some AP mines around. :D

Fat Albert 04-02-2014 09:07

Hey Dean,
Where did the tank get knocked out? I remember those M41's being around to time to time but I knew where they were from.

Trapper John 04-02-2014 09:57

Dean-

I remember the gal in the 3rd B-36 pic (2nd row left). Also , the hotel in Long Hai (hard times there ;) ). I can still taste Water Buffalo steak and fried rice - good eats. Most of the faces are too grainy and the FOG memory is too foggy for much else. Funny, I can recall the smells and the feel of air almost as clearly as if I were there though.

I'll dig out some of my pics and post here later. I think I know where the pic of Kim Simon is too. I'll dig it out tonight.

"Thanks, for the memories" [Bob Hope]

DOL Brother

Dean Jarvis 04-03-2014 05:48

2 Attachment(s)
Albert,

They were an ARVN armored tank company. I believe they were only on our range for one day. I think the mine scared them off.

If you look you can see a string of fish Lt Cole (in the middle) is holding. We caught them with a hand grenade. While the bodes were collecting the fish they saw a boa constrictor in a cave just above the water line. They put their bayonets on their M16's and stabbed it to death. It took 5 bodes to hold the snake. I took a picture of it but apparently too dark in the triple canopy and didn't turn out. That night we ate snake, turtle and fish. Doesn't get any better than that!:)

I got my orders to return back to the world. An Air America chopper picked me up (you can see the 2 guys behind talking him in). We flew over to our sister battalion who had been fighting the previous day and they threw in 3 dead bodes. 4 days later I stepped off the pane in Oakland, CA. I thought then that the war was over for me. Only to find out that it's never over.

Trapper John 04-03-2014 08:33

2 Attachment(s)
Dean & Fat Albert-

Here are few pics for you guys. Dean the pic with Kim Simon wasn't where I thought it was. We are moving offices and labs and it may be in a file in storage. Once we are completely settled in I will check. Maybe next month though.

Fat Albert 04-03-2014 09:55

Those tanks came through once or twice while I was at B36 but I never knew where they came from.

You're right about snake being tasty. The Bodes would chase small lizards around for a quick snack and we had to share it with them. They'd eat almost anything. They made a soup with tiny squid and octopus in it which was pretty good. Their PIRs were good too. Damn, It must be time for lunch.

Trapper,
Did you get my snail mail yet.

Trapper John 04-03-2014 10:59

FA-
Quote:

Trapper,
Did you get my snail mail yet.
Not as of yesterday. I will send you a PM when I do.

Doc Russell 04-22-2014 19:12

Fat Albert,

It has been a long time ago. I was the Jr. Medic on A-362. If you have the team photo, (posted in the link below) I'm the one wearing the sunglasses behind your right shoulder. We also flew home on the same plane.

I've also been in touch with Spitfire, I talked to him the other day to thank him for the gifts he brought back from his travels to Long Hai and Cambodia. He hasn't changed a bit in all these years. I also spent a couple of days with Trashcan seven or eight years ago.

Because of the shortage of medics, I was also the Jr. Medic on A-364. Lt. Bowra was the team XO. Reunited with him out at Ft Lewis when he was head of JFK Center.

Castro, I remember you as well. I seem to recall you drove the APC on one of our operations on the other side of Ba Ria by Nui Ba Den ( I think) and a rubber tree plantation.
You were a cool guy, but that big fuckin' machine made so much noise, I was afraid we were gonna get hit. I just wanted you to leave and take it back to camp.

I don't check this site very often, in fact this is my very first post. Last time I was on and checked the was nothing about FANK and I haven't been back until now. I hope the link to below works. If not contact me back channel and I'll send you the link. I would like to hear from any FANK guys.

Jeff Russell
jeffandbethrussell@comcast.net
http://www.sflistteamhouse.com/scrap...fpix071404.htm

Fat Albert 05-13-2014 09:33

Jeff,

It's so good to hear from you! I talked to both Spitfire and Trashcan by phone last month and you're correct in that John is the same ole John. He has certainly had an exciting life since Long Hai. He said that he is going back to Vietnam and Cambodia for the second time since our tour there this month.

Trashcan just went through a knee replacement recently and was suffering with that. I guess we're just getting old...lol! BTW, how and where are you?

I haven't heard from Castro since his last post here. Both Rey and Ben Morales went through training group with me at Bragg back 1971. Both were great guys.

Jeff, I've tried your email and it comes back as undeliverable.

Trapper John 05-13-2014 09:53

Damn this is gettin' to be FANK old home week around here!:D

Welcome- Doc!

Doc Russell 05-13-2014 12:30

Joe ,

Good to hear from you. I surprised that email came back. The other time was when Rick Howson and I reconnected with Danny Tizen, and my emails to Danny would always bounce.

I am fine and except for minor aches and pains, my health is great. I live in Olympia, WA.

I retired from the VA as a pipefitter. Married with 3 daughters and 7 grandchildren. Life is good.

I just got off the phone with John. He is at the airport heading back to Long Hai and will be there on the 22nd of May. He told me to say hi for him.

Jeff