Professional Soldiers

Professional Soldiers (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Women in Combat? (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40862)

sinjefe 02-05-2013 08:43

I now subscribe to the "Dusty effect'. Hunkering down in my bunker and waiting for the apocolypse.:D

Richard 02-05-2013 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinjefe (Post 488451)
You have to live by your principals.

Not me - I was wild as a dry August wind and always wanted to live as far away from my 'principals' as possible. :D :D

Richard
:munchin

Dusty 02-05-2013 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinjefe (Post 488453)
I now subscribe to the "Dusty effect'. Hunkering down in my bunker and waiting for the apocolypse.:D

"Imitation is the sincerest forum of flattery." :D

Old Dog New Trick 02-05-2013 09:05

There will not be equality and a sexless military until everyone is treated the same and comfortable with co-Ed everything.

As long as we have "Men" and "Women" seperate latrines and shower facilities and a different physical fitness standard to define "qualified" there will be issues with men and women serving in specific roles together.

There is no reason not to expect that many will suffer and some will die, so that a few can achieve some fantasy about what equality is and is not.

There may be roles for women in combat units and those should be defined with tests and qualifications that differ from their male counterparts but do not disrupt the natural order of things.

JMO

ETA: We have and have had women in SF (support roles) for years, they perform their duties with great enthusiasm and professionalism. Some would even be an asset in the field but those roles are limited and very specific.

mark46th 02-05-2013 09:32

My sister in law was the Athletic Director at a school here in California when Title IX passed, dictating that both men's and women's athletic teams had to have equal facilities, funding, etc.

I asked her if this meant women could try out for men's teams, she said yes.

I asked her if I could try out for her women's softball team, she said no and couldn't tell me (or admit) why...

There are no women playing in the NFL, the NBA, MLB or NHL for a reason...

1stindoor 02-05-2013 12:05

Which also begs the question...why do our fearless leaders need all female FETs and CSTs? Why can't a male join those two units? Is my testosterone level too high? I think men should be allowed the option of going out for the CSTs and FETs.

mark46th 02-05-2013 13:06

Since when did equality, cultural sensitivity and gender have anything to do with logic?

Razor 02-05-2013 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by afchic (Post 488533)
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but weren't those teams put together because of cultural sensitivity in the AOR?

That's correct. Now, if we flip the circumstances, how effective will a female infantry company commander be at conducting a shura with a local Afghani tribal elder? Nowadays, SF aren't the only ones out in the wild building rapport and partnerships, and there are a heck of a lot of cultures around the world where women are treated far less than equal.

The Reaper 02-05-2013 18:45

I hear women complaining, with some regularity, that all of the real men are gone, and men don't act like men anymore.

Then I hear my Chief of Staff saying that in order to get women into units where they do not meet the standards, the units will have to reevaluate and justify those standards.

What do you think has happened to the boys who wanted to be men?

Eventually, this is going to get a lot of people hurt.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, there was a combat load study of a "light infantry" unit in the box, and their measured loads ranged between 125 and 145 pounds per man, at significant altitude, for days on end. Any women I know who could physically lift that load (less strength, especially upper body), could not sustain it for as long as the men (lower aerobic capacity), and would suffer permanent damage to their bodies (lower bone density).

TR

scooter 02-05-2013 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 488595)
That's correct. Now, if we flip the circumstances, how effective will a female infantry company commander be at conducting a shura with a local Afghani tribal elder? Nowadays, SF aren't the only ones out in the wild building rapport and partnerships, and there are a heck of a lot of cultures around the world where women are treated far less than equal.

I can imagine VERY few places in the 5th Group AOR that would react well to a female Detachment Commander showing up to meet with a counterpart military commander.

BKKMAN 02-05-2013 19:04

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 488651)
I hear women complaining, with some regularity, that all of the real men are gone, and men don't act like men anymore.

Then I hear my Chief of Staff saying that in order to get women into units where they do not meet the standards, the units will have to reevaluate and justify those standards.

What do you think has happened to the boys who wanted to be men?

Eventually, this is going to get a lot of people hurt.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, there was a combat load study of a "light infantry" unit in the box, and their measured loads ranged between 125 and 145 pounds per man, at significant altitude, for days on end. Any women I know who could physically lift that load (less strength, especially upper body), could not sustain it for as long as the men (lower aerobic capacity), and would suffer permanent damage to their bodies (lower bone density).

TR

These?

MtnGoat 02-06-2013 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 488651)
I hear women complaining, with some regularity, that all of the real men are gone, and men don't act like men anymore.

Then I hear my Chief of Staff saying that in order to get women into units where they do not meet the standards, the units will have to reevaluate and justify those standards.

What do you think has happened to the boys who wanted to be men?

Eventually, this is going to get a lot of people hurt.TR

Well I'll say, even if USASFC brings back the SF yearly certification, this wouldn't help Groups or the Regiment in a cause. The standards will be changed and arms/hands tied.

1stindoor 02-06-2013 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 488595)
That's correct. Now, if we flip the circumstances, how effective will a female infantry company commander be at conducting a shura with a local Afghani tribal elder? Nowadays, SF aren't the only ones out in the wild building rapport and partnerships, and there are a heck of a lot of cultures around the world where women are treated far less than equal.

Thanks for the assist...and it was my point exactly. Growing up in 7th SFG was another prime example of why women on teams wouldn't being accepted.

Snaquebite 02-06-2013 15:45

1 Attachment(s)
Couldn't resist

Attachment 24222

Dusty 02-06-2013 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaquebite (Post 488877)
Couldn't resist

Attachment 24222

lol Made my day. :D:D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:42.


Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers