Professional Soldiers

Professional Soldiers (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Assessment & Selection (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What are you currently doing to prep for SFAS or SFRE (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29811)

Foot Drill 07-26-2010 18:00

What are you currently doing to prep for SFAS or SFRE
 
x

CommoNCO 07-26-2010 18:58

I've read, re read, and continue to reread "Get Selected." Over the months (since January) I've been alternating between the "Get Selected" workout, and the recruiter-issued workout program. I ruck when they tell me, run when they tell me, and in my "off time" I go swimming, work sprints in to improve my 2 mile time, and find good things to read. "The Mission The Men and Me" is my latest read; and the Ranger Handbook is something I pick up at least twice a day. I've made sure that I've gotten my finances in check; have made sure my diet is both healthy and supplement-free; and have been getting into the habit of properly hydrating every day.

Right now I know that I can count on people being faster and stronger than me; so I approach every workout with that in mind - I ruck just a little bit faster, run just a little bit harder, and realize that anything beyond SFAS is really not my concern at this point - So I'm taking the word of those that have been there and done that and preparing accordingly. My SFAS physical should be done this week, and I'll be dropping my packet as soon as I get back to the United States - just hoping for a bit of leeway with the APFT (as in, a good time for me to take it) as I'll be at ALC when the APFT for class 0311 will be held.

The Reaper 07-27-2010 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommoNCO (Post 340845)
I've read, re read, and continue to reread "Get Selected." Over the months (since January) I've been alternating between the "Get Selected" workout, and the recruiter-issued workout program. I ruck when they tell me, run when they tell me, and in my "off time" I go swimming, work sprints in to improve my 2 mile time, and find good things to read. "The Mission The Men and Me" is my latest read; and the Ranger Handbook is something I pick up at least twice a day. I've made sure that I've gotten my finances in check; have made sure my diet is both healthy and supplement-free; and have been getting into the habit of properly hydrating every day.

Right now I know that I can count on people being faster and stronger than me; so I approach every workout with that in mind - I ruck just a little bit faster, run just a little bit harder, and realize that anything beyond SFAS is really not my concern at this point - So I'm taking the word of those that have been there and done that and preparing accordingly. My SFAS physical should be done this week, and I'll be dropping my packet as soon as I get back to the United States - just hoping for a bit of leeway with the APFT (as in, a good time for me to take it) as I'll be at ALC when the APFT for class 0311 will be held.

Good prep.

TR

youknow 07-28-2010 20:15

Before PT I will run a mile concentrating on opening up my stride or I will run a couple miles at a slower pace trying to improve my aerobic efficiency (talked about in Get Selected and I am currently reading the book Slow Burn that is referenced also in the book). Then I will do whatever they have planned for PT. At night I am following the workout in Get Selected. Saturdays I will hit the beach and go for a run

Once I complete the Get Selected workout I plan to ruck at least twice a week incorporating a shorter ruck at a "fast" rate and a "slower", longer ruck and throw in a beach ruck here and there. I also plan to continue the aerobic running for longer distances. Whatever days are left over I am doing crossfit or cycling/rowing. As soon as I get some time (studying to go to the board) I am going to hit the pool as I am a terrible swimmer.


So much to do, so little time in the day

x SF med 07-28-2010 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by youknow (Post 341129)
Before PT I will run a mile concentrating on opening up my stride or I will run a couple miles at a slower pace trying to improve my aerobic efficiency (talked about in Get Selected and I am currently reading the book Slow Burn that is referenced also in the book). Then I will do whatever they have planned for PT. At night I am following the workout in Get Selected. Saturdays I will hit the beach and go for a run

Once I complete the Get Selected workout I plan to ruck at least twice a week incorporating a shorter ruck at a "fast" rate and a "slower", longer ruck and throw in a beach ruck here and there. I also plan to continue the aerobic running for longer distances. Whatever days are left over I am doing crossfit or cycling/rowing. As soon as I get some time (studying to go to the board) I am going to hit the pool as I am a terrible swimmer.


So much to do, so little time in the day

Young man, you best get your intro posted yesterday and your profile up to date before The Reaper and Team Sergeant double team your non-instruction following 4th point of contact. You are a no-go at this station, you had best learn to follow the instructions you are given if you want to Get Selected.

What part of "your first post goes in the intro thread" is not clear?

Move out and correct your oversight.

furry 08-04-2010 16:34

Just wanted to get in a quick word for those young guys who are searching around honestly but naively for a way to prep.

I ordered and read "Get Selected." While I appreciate the Major taking the time to selflessly pen a tome in order to help guys get ready for SFAS (and donating the profits to a fantastic non profit, big ups), and I think there is some good common sense about foot care etc., I ardently disagree with a lot of his training advice.

At one point he actually advises against lifting weights with your legs because it makes you a slower runner, or something to that effect. While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have (and who have been to the "other" selection), and I've got a solid resume in the mountains where I've tested training efficacies for myself.

Running and rucking endless miles and doing bicep curls is not the best approach for any level of fitness. We know that SFAS is three weeks of grueling PT, among other things. Your body needs to be durable enough to handle it. Strengthen your entire muscular and skeletal structure with compound movements over a full range of motion. Lift heavy things, run fast, and sure, go rucking every once in a while to get used to it.

A number of guys have had success with a Crossfit/Crossfit Endurance type approach (google it). In my opinion, I have found this to be the best system for training for these types of events. You'll build up a solid base of strength and flexibility, have a strong and durable body; all without wearing your body down before you even get there.

Once again, mad respect to the Major for his efforts, and I'm sure his advice will adequately prepare you. Then again, I've heard of guys showing up to BUD/S who can barely pass the PT test but are standing there at graduation day because they refuse to quit.

Last hard class 08-04-2010 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by furry (Post 342103)
While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have

Hmmm...


LHC

CommoNCO 08-04-2010 17:18

Furry - I see a lot of crossfit types, and a lot of gym jones guys, and a whole lot of other very fit Special Forces Soldiers around my work on a daily basis.

Personally, when I have senior Special Forces NCOs, as well as recently successful SFAS and SFQC graduates telling me to prepare via a book written by another SF Qualified Soldier, I'm going to stick with that.

I can max 2 events in my APFT. My run keeps killing me. But when my alarm goes off every morning, the message on my screen says that "SFAS won't wait for me." So I get up, do what the book says, and drive on - knowing that the same Soldiers that are deployed with me SEEING my workout - are saying that it's the right call - so I must be doing something right.

As a matter of fact, I've yet to see the MAJ chime in with a post or a chapter that says to talk shit on the internet, so i'm gonna end it here and get back to listening.

ZonieDiver 08-04-2010 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by furry
While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have
Did you also stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

EasyIan 08-04-2010 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommoNCO (Post 342113)
Personally, when I have senior Special Forces NCOs, as well as recently successful SFAS and SFQC graduates telling me to prepare via a book written by another SF Qualified Soldier, I'm going to stick with that.

+∞

Ian

The Reaper 08-04-2010 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by furry (Post 342103)
Just wanted to get in a quick word for those young guys who are searching around honestly but naively for a way to prep.

I ordered and read "Get Selected." While I appreciate the Major taking the time to selflessly pen a tome in order to help guys get ready for SFAS (and donating the profits to a fantastic non profit, big ups), and I think there is some good common sense about foot care etc., I ardently disagree with a lot of his training advice.

At one point he actually advises against lifting weights with your legs because it makes you a slower runner, or something to that effect. While I haven't been to SFAS, I know guys who have (and who have been to the "other" selection), and I've got a solid resume in the mountains where I've tested training efficacies for myself.

Running and rucking endless miles and doing bicep curls is not the best approach for any level of fitness. We know that SFAS is three weeks of grueling PT, among other things. Your body needs to be durable enough to handle it. Strengthen your entire muscular and skeletal structure with compound movements over a full range of motion. Lift heavy things, run fast, and sure, go rucking every once in a while to get used to it.

A number of guys have had success with a Crossfit/Crossfit Endurance type approach (google it). In my opinion, I have found this to be the best system for training for these types of events. You'll build up a solid base of strength and flexibility, have a strong and durable body; all without wearing your body down before you even get there.

Once again, mad respect to the Major for his efforts, and I'm sure his advice will adequately prepare you. Then again, I've heard of guys showing up to BUD/S who can barely pass the PT test but are standing there at graduation day because they refuse to quit.

furry:

Not to be rude or blunt, but let me break it down for you.

I would save the advice dispensing for those who have actually attended SFAS and SFRE. Especially since it seems to be based largely on "what you heard". You are the guy who cannot get a contract without a med waiver because of his injuries, correct?

Frankly, the only way your opinion of the prep would have any validity would be based on having attended, and hopefully having been selected. You have not demonstrated the experience at the specific drills required that would affford you the latitude to dispense expert opinions without it. If you get into the Army, go to SFAS and get selected, complete the SFQC and maybe work there for a while, then you can write your own work-out prep book.

As a demonstration, the Major completed SFAS as a student using his own workout program. He subsequently commanded SOPC and his students set a record for the highest SFAS selection rate ever, after following his PT prep program.

Have you done anything like that?

FWIW, you will not be selected if you show up for SFAS and merely refuse to quit. We send large numbers of non-selects home after every class. There is a direct correlartion between APFT scores and selection as well. Look it up.

TR

Surgicalcric 08-04-2010 20:10

Apparently some of you dont read the archives here.
 
To piggyback on my Brothers above comments, if you havent attended and been SELECTED at SFAS do not dispense advice on how to prepare for SFAS...

In the event you dont understand the above, DO NOT talk out of your ass...

Questions...

Go do PT.

Crip

Aceshigh 08-04-2010 21:12

I'm down with the yoga
 
Right now I'm rucking at a 13:30-14:00 minute mile pace for 8-12 miles on flat terrain.

I've maxed my pushups and run on the APFT but my situps have been stuck in the high 60's (I'm working on it).

In the gym I've started doing some of the more unorthodox exercises, just in case I end up having to do something with a log :).

I've stayed pretty true to the plan outlined in "Get Selected" to great success so far (roughly 35 days).

On Foot Drills suggestion I started 1 hour of yoga 3 times a week and it has done wonders for my recovery time.

:lifter

furry 08-04-2010 23:50

I thought this thread was an open discussion about prep work. I didn't see anywhere that this thread was limited to replies by QPs only, so if I missed that then my fault.

I've seen a lot of ad hominem attacks on myself, but little in the way of discussion of the actual contents of my training methodology. Do I think Get Selected outlines a training regime that will work, and demonstrated an improvement in selection numbers? Of course. I also went out of my way to express great respect for the Major. But I have never believed in the maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." We should always seek to expose the weaknesses of any system and work to improve it. Complacency is the enemy of progress, no?

I personally know men from all areas of SOF who have used the methodology I'm describing, including senior SF NCOs, and have had some in depth discussions with them on this front. For example, since introduction of this type of training at Phase II of BUD/S there has been a dramatic decrease in injury related drops, with no sacrifice in standards.

No, I have not been to SFAS, and I would be (and am) the first to give great weight to what any individual who has has to say. However, I don't think it fair to assume that just because someone has been through that specific pipeline they have a stranglehold on training methodology. I do have valuable experience and knowledge of my own as it pertains to training for and moving fast in the mountains on all types of terrain (some of which is what you all call "rucking," I call it "the approach"). Thus I think it is unfair to say I am "talking out of my ass." I was forthcoming about where I have and have not been (SFAS) because I wouldn't want someone to take my advice believing anything otherwise.

Warrior-Mentor 08-05-2010 00:06

Furry,

GET SELECTED is the conversation we would have if you and I sat down and had a detailed discussion about preparing for SFAS. I had this conversation with several Soldiers who had asked me long before even getting involved with the SOPC program.

Perhaps you missed the section of the book, where I said this is what worked for me. If you have the same conversation with any other SF Soldier and ask the EXACT SAME questions, you'll get different answers. BUT, over time, as you ask more and more, you'll find similarities.

And then you should go TEST what works for you.

Experienced Soldiers know things won't go exactly in accordance with an Operations Order (OPORD). But you have to have a baseline, a plan. GET SELECTED is that baseline. From there, you can FRAGO as you like.

Best of luck.
WM

18C4V 08-05-2010 00:06

Furry,

The problem is your credibility. You don't have any and you haven't been to schools where rucking is the bread and butter of such courses such as PRC, Ranger School, RSLC, SFAS, SFQC and other courses out there that have timed road marches.

Even though I testify in court as a police officer in criminal hearings, I sure as hell know that I'm not a lawyer.

The Reaper 08-05-2010 07:14

I feel like a civilian skydiver is telling me how to prepare for MFF training...

Does this mean that a military guy with a lot of ruck experience should be telling experienced mountaineers how to prepare for a climb?

TR

Rumblyguts 08-05-2010 07:40

Quote:

Footdrill I wanted to start this thread to see what others are currently doing to prepare for SFAS or the NG SFRE. More specifically, what kind of PT others are doing so we can compare and contrast and possibly elicit the advice from the QP.
Quote:

furry I thought this thread was an open discussion about prep work. I didn't see anywhere that this thread was limited to replies by QPs only, so if I missed that then my fault.
Nope, you're right, it doesn't look like the thread was limited to only QP replies. Seems like he was looking for other plans nd ideas from other hopefuls, and advice from QP's

furry 08-05-2010 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblyguts (Post 342164)
Nope, you're right, it doesn't look like the thread was limited to only QP replies. Seems like he was looking for other plans nd ideas from other hopefuls, and advice from QP's

That was my understanding as well.

WM: Thanks for your reply, honored you would chime in. And yes, I agree, ultimately everyone has to tweak training to what works for them. I was simply offering up a different approach than what seems to be the singular approach championed by this site.

Quote:

I feel like a civilian skydiver is telling me how to prepare for MFF training...

Does this mean that a military guy with a lot of ruck experience should be telling experienced mountaineers how to prepare for a climb?
Actually, such an individual might have some knowledge to share. I don't take a myopic view and only accept fitness advice from people who are climbers, and I don't see why this would be any different.

As for the civilian telling you how to prepare: yes, it happens all the time. I have friends and acquaintances who have been hired by SOF units to train them in their respective areas of expertise (ice, rock, and alpine climbing).

So long as the advice is presented honestly and openly, the reader is free to evaluate its weight and credibility on their own. The marketplace of ideas, as it were.

greenberetTFS 08-05-2010 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by furry (Post 342205)
That was my understanding as well.

WM: Thanks for your reply, honored you would chime in. And yes, I agree, ultimately everyone has to tweak training to what works for them. I was simply offering up a different approach than what seems to be the singular approach championed by this site.



Actually, such an individual might have some knowledge to share. I don't take a myopic view and only accept fitness advice from people who are climbers, and I don't see why this would be any different.

As for the civilian telling you how to prepare: yes, it happens all the time. I have friends and acquaintances who have been hired by SOF units to train them in their respective areas of expertise (ice, rock, and alpine climbing).

So long as the advice is presented honestly and openly, the reader is free to evaluate its weight and credibility on their own. The marketplace of ideas, as it were.

furry,

Why don't you follow the rules ? :rolleyes: You haven't filled out your profile yet! :eek: We have no idea who you are..............:confused:

Big Teddy :munchin

furry 08-05-2010 13:49

Apologies. Done.

caveman 08-05-2010 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceshigh (Post 342134)
I've maxed my pushups and run on the APFT but my situps have been stuck in the high 60's (I'm working on it).

Try the AB Ripper X workout from P90X, while the name of the program sounds stupid and I've not done any of their other workouts, I will say that it definitely has the potential to bust a plateau; I've had considerable success with it. It's not easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor (Post 342145)
Experienced Soldiers know things won't go exactly in accordance with an Operations Order (OPORD). But you have to have a baseline, a plan. GET SELECTED is that baseline. From there, you can FRAGO as you like.

I like this analogy.

11Ber 08-06-2010 06:50

During my 2 years in the course I wandered through several different training programs until I found one I like and that wasn't until the past 5 months or so. As I have said several times on here and will tell anyone who hopes to be successful at SFAS, I followed Get Selected to the letter, twice. It prepared me adequately for SFAS and I was successful. Once I got going in the course I felt I was way behind where I needed to be to be a contributing member of an ODA. After SUT, which was first then, I heard about and got into Crossfit. Thought it was the #hit. I was getting fitter and stronger, I thought. However I noticed several things. My run times were lacking because there isn't a strong running emphasis in Crossfit. Second, I was actually becoming weaker. My lift numbers were dropping. I could do body weight stuff all day but could barely DL 350. Third and to me the most major issue, after 20 minutes of work I was done. I feel Crossift trains for 20 minutes of work and that is all. Well, thats ok for most people's fitness requirements, but for us with our jobs 20 minutes could just be the warm up.
I then found CFE and thought cool I can incorporate some running/swimming/c2/cycling into my CF routine. This worked and my run times came back and I didn't have to log 35 miles a week. However, the course is just a tad time consuming and 2 workouts most days with rarely one day completely off from training equals one thing--training burnout. I started to dread having to train and got tired of thinking how can I fit a run and WOD into a Sunday?
I then moved onto CF football. This hit the strength issue. Heavy lifts almost every day. Lasted for a month or so. I began to think, I'm not playing college football anymore, no need to train for it.
I found Mil Athlete in Jan of this year. It works for me, one workout a day, strength, endurance, and work capacity cycles. I workout Monday-Friday and get to enjoy the weekends. Strength is up, running is faster, resting HR is way down, joints feel good, and the wife is happy I don't live for the gym.
Point is Get Selected is what it was designed to be, a tool to prepare you for SFAS. It worked for me and many others before and after me, but like WM said use what works for you. As you can see, it will take some time to find what you like and all programs have their ups and downs. Major thing to take from this, train train train like your life depends on it...because it does. :lifter

Foot Drill 08-06-2010 12:56

x

Foot Drill 08-06-2010 13:08

x

furry 08-06-2010 17:09

Although I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll dispense anyways...

If you're trying to up numbers in a single event like pushups, situps, etc. try working Tabata intervals. If you google them you'll come up with a great description plus all the research and supporting data.

A Tabata is simply 20 seconds of work, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times for a total of 4 minutes. You can do an entire workout of these with a Tabata of pushups, then situps, then pullups, etc. Or, lets say you pushups are flagging, just tag on a Tabata set of pushups at the end of your workout once or twice a week. If you don't see improvement I'll buy you a ham sandwich.

Surgicalcric 08-06-2010 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by furry (Post 342443)
Although I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll dispense anyways....

This is not the place to test the patience of those who have previously addressed you and your credentials.

Go do PT.

Crip

Aceshigh 08-06-2010 22:46

Foot, I do alot of biking in my routine and I don't see the allure to biking in a pack but I'll give it a try once or twice next week. I'll give the should exercise a try to but I've been having some great advances with the basics (shoulder press, military press) all weighted of course.


What I really want to incorporate is more swimming, I'm told it's better for the joints then biking and even at my age there are weeks my joints are hurting something fierce.

Foot Drill 08-06-2010 23:25

x

dmgedgoods 08-07-2010 05:32

"Get Selected" and the SFAS preparation book from the recruiter are treating me well. I am not the fastest, and not the strongest, but knowing this is making me push harder every time. In between rucking and running, I am hitting the bike for lack of a pool. Everything else I do is focused on what I know I need to improve...everything. Being conscious of my down time has helped mitigate injuries.

Besides working the muscles, I constantly try to work my mind. College has allowed me to open up the headspace a bit. NDD has posted some tremendous stuff in the Mindset forum. Reading, reading some more, reading again is a great way to unwind and get the brain muscle going.

My wife is behind me 100%, as is the rest of my family...that alone motivates me the most.

Mack

Marbou 08-14-2010 19:14

I do a Ruck, Swim, Run. I Ruck 3's and 6's. Swim 500m and run 3miles and 5miles. I perform one event per day. I do them in the morning and powerlift in the afternoon. I do Crossfit WODs on the other days I'm not Rucking, Running, or Swimming. "Running Murph" being one of my favorite. Every other 3day cycle I time the events to track my progress. What do you think about that? :lifter

youknow 09-01-2010 03:16

I didnt want to start a new thread for this so here we go


For those of you that soak your feet with alcohol, do you just store the alcohol in a tupperware or something of that nature and reuse it? How long do you let them soak for? I walk barefoot but only so many places make contact with the ground

wet dog 09-01-2010 09:53

Don't soak your feet in alcohol, maybe a rubdown for deep muscle therapy, but no soaking. Alcohol will dry the skin, split, and cause for infections to penetrate. You toughen the feet by wearing boots under heavy loads for long distances, Period.

After a ruckmarch, you will inspect your feet for rubbing areas, trim the nails, wash, lotion, change your socks. Be disciplined.

Only after time will your feet resemble leather. In SA I wore jungle boots without socks so my feet dried quicker. Not all can do this, but I was lucky. My feet looked liked callused hands and hard as iron, they looked "native", but then again I wasn't sharing a bed with a GF who excepted my hands and feet be soft and gentle.

Stick to "Getting Selected", listen to Warrior Mentor, he's smoother in his approach to training, I, on the other will hit on your helmet with a weapons cleaning rod each time you pass me, while you run large circles in the gravel parking lot barefoot.

WD

Quote:

Originally Posted by youknow (Post 346504)
I didnt want to start a new thread for this so here we go


For those of you that soak your feet with alcohol, do you just store the alcohol in a tupperware or something of that nature and reuse it? How long do you let them soak for? I walk barefoot but only so many places make contact with the ground


The Reaper 09-01-2010 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by youknow (Post 346504)
I didnt want to start a new thread for this so here we go

For those of you that soak your feet with alcohol, do you just store the alcohol in a tupperware or something of that nature and reuse it? How long do you let them soak for? I walk barefoot but only so many places make contact with the ground

You will not be required to negotiate any of the graded events at SFAS barefoot.

I would follow the instructions provided for prep.

TR

youknow 09-01-2010 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by wet dog (Post 346534)
Don't soak your feet in alcohol, maybe a rubdown for deep muscle therapy, but no soaking. Alcohol will dry the skin, split, and cause for infections to penetrate. You toughen the feet by wearing boots under heavy loads for long distances, Period.

After a ruckmarch, you will inspect your feet for rubbing areas, trim the nails, wash, lotion, change your socks. Be disciplined.

Only after time will your feet resemble leather. In SA I wore jungle boots without socks so my feet dried quicker. Not all can do this, but I was lucky. My feet looked liked callused hands and hard as iron, they looked "native", but then again I wasn't sharing a bed with a GF who excepted my hands and feet be soft and gentle.

Stick to "Getting Selected", listen to Warrior Mentor, he's smoother in his approach to training, I, on the other will hit on your helmet with a weapons cleaning rod each time you pass me, while you run large circles in the gravel parking lot barefoot.

WD



Walking barefoot on asphalt was recommended to me to supplement the feet toughening process. And as for the the alcohol, it is talked about in the book "Get Selected" briefly and not in much detail as another supplement to toughen feet.


I appreciate everyone's advice

tetra 09-01-2010 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by youknow (Post 346547)
...for the the alcohol, it is talked about in the book "Get Selected" briefly and not in much detail as another supplement to toughen feet.

From what I understood from "Get Selected", I put a little bit of alcohol on a cotton ball and rub it all around both feet up to and including around my ankles and since I have the luxury of time, I let them air dry. I only do it after running and rucking along with some of the other post ruck foot care talked about in the chapter on feet.

Any QP's advice/criticisms about that?

koz 09-01-2010 14:09

Big difference in SOAKING your feet and rubbing them down with a cotton ball and alcohol.

I did the boots with no socks routine.

RockSolid 09-01-2010 14:25

Broadcasting Live From Burpee Hell
 
Currently I'm training via crossfit and also strength training and doing cardio at the gym. I'm building a good foundation, to being able to follow Get Selected / NSCA Tactical Athlete Program workout routines without injury.

Cardio: Currently I'm interval training with sprints at goal pace and retesting mile and 2 mile runs, to track progress weekly.

Strength Training: Im focused on muscular endurance (i.e high reps low rest) as I currently have a good platform of strength to do majority of things outlined in books I've read, but absolutely nowhere near the muscular endurance to do so.

Mental: Reading a ton, Ive got Get Selected, Chosen Soldier, In the Company of Heroes, Little Black Book Of Violence, U.S. Army Map Reading & Land Nav and will soon be tackling some of the suggested reading in Get Selected.

One a side note: One utility I've found to be helpful is the NSCA's Tactical Athlete training program. Use your google force to find it, otherwise I can assist you in obtaining a copy. I would value a BTDT program over this one any day but it does have pretty pictures for my simplistic 18X brethren j/j. On serious note I was a member of the NSCA and can attest to the big brains over there when it comes to the human body and structuring strength training programs for specific athletic endeavours and the pictures and write ups of the exercises therein are extremely helpful.

Ill be starting the NSCA program next week and if you care to PM and ill let you know how its going and be able to give mroe details about it.

- :lifter Rock

Foot Drill 09-01-2010 16:12

Ruckin'
 
x

Sapper124 09-02-2010 08:16

opinions on conditioning sweat glands as well
 
Has anyone else been trying this method? It stood out when I was reading Get Selected as well. Before i start spraying down I was curious if anyone else has done this and how its working for them. I am by no means trying to question or contradict the advice in the book, just curious as to whether or not its a good idea in the long run to try and condition the sweat glands of the feet to stop working or should we just swap socks, powder up and CM? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Drill (Post 346585)
One concern that I’ve tried to address is foot sweat. I’ve gone through almost two cans of Arrid XX and I haven’t notice any change in foot perspiration. After these rucks my feet are soaked, and so are my boots. I need to get this figured out.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:41.


Copyright 2004-2019 by Professional Soldiers