Professional Soldiers

Professional Soldiers (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   PT/ H2H (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Blitz only Thread (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24099)

dmgedgoods 08-08-2010 09:48

While I was in the rear, it took about 3 weeks before I saw substantial increase in endurance. Strength followed that curve as well. Another week or so after that, strength was greatly improved. Since I have deployed, I have been limited on what I can do Blitz-wise. As soon as I redeploy, I plan on getting back on track. Equipment was a consistent issue. Free weights helped with this, but I still feel that there was no way for me to maximize the impact of the program. With free weights, form is of utmost importance, so there was some time lost to making sure form was always correct.

It might be important to note that I have used the program to supplement other workouts I was doing at the time. This included lots of medicine ball work, and lots of equipment-free body weight work. If I can focus on just the Blitz once again when I redeploy, I feel I can be back on my game. I was able to keep a good running and rucking program on line while doing the Blitz. This is a program that is easy to mingle with the SF Prep program and even the get Selected workout program.

Another thing...It's hard to get people to follow a new workout scheme. I have found myself running solo on many Blitz days. Maybe it's a comfort issue for some? New ideas scare people sometimes, and maybe that's why it's hard to get a good group participation.

Mack

forward 08-08-2010 12:01

Quote:

Another thing...It's hard to get people to follow a new workout scheme. I have found myself running solo on many Blitz days. Maybe it's a comfort issue for some? New ideas scare people sometimes, and maybe that's why it's hard to get a good group participation.
Run it solo! People will see the results you are getting then start pinging you on what you are doing. Maybe it is a comfort thing, because lets be honest, Blitzing is a tough mental exercise as well as physical.

Blitzzz,

Been holding down sustainment workouts once or twice a week. Just keeping the weights at the max previously established. Sometimes my numbers will fluctuate below my goal reps on a set but not more than 5 below. I think it is just externals such as lack of sleep, time of day, other workouts, etc.

Still hurts like a hot iron though! Mentally, not in my joints or muscles. It has incorporated well into running and rucking and cross training cardio. Though I noticed a need to be selective about scheduling. Rucking 12+ following a Blitz day is tough.

I am debating once my work load lightens up to try and shift back to 3 times a week and see if I can squeeze another couple pounds out of some of the exercises.

Thanks again Sir.

v/r,

Forward

Blitzzz (RIP) 09-29-2010 08:02

Just curious.

I'd be curious to find out if there any folks out there that prepared for SFAS by Blitzing. How do you feel the increased endurance helped with the mental drains.
Blitzzz

Blitzzz (RIP) 10-04-2010 18:21

A little Blitz up Date...

It was presented to students at TSU for a test run prior to the scheduled study.
These students will be acting as "trainers for the students in the study.
I'm happier now that the ball is rolling.

Blitzzz (RIP) 10-19-2010 09:12

Just a note.

"Blitzing" and "The Sixties" is Published in the Army's "Building The Soldier Athlete".

MILON 10-19-2010 17:15

Awesome blitz! Glad to hear the program continues to be promoted!

ksboi 10-25-2010 00:29

blitzz workout

I took a few days off from my workout and I am starting the blitzz workout today. It should be to try something new. Will post comments in a month or so.

Green Light 10-25-2010 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 350406)
I'd be curious to find out if there any folks out there that prepared for SFAS by Blitzing. How do you feel the increased endurance helped with the mental drains.
Blitzzz

I'm not willing to go through selection phase again to test it out, but I have been using it since you sent me the program in May.

For those who don't know where I was, I had 3 cervical vertibrae fused three years ago (from an old jump injury) and was having chronic back pain in the lower lumbar spine. I also had chronic hip pain from spinal stenosis and a bulging disc. I couldn't walk around the block without being out of commission for hours. Needless to say, my fitness level was at an all-time low.

I was interested in tracking my fitness progress so I kept workout results so I could have some sort of comparison. I kept track of work by exercise using a basic weight x repetitions formula (I've converted everything to foot pounds lately so later I can keep track of total work).

Here's the exercises and improvements:

Heel Raises 113.21%
Chest Press 234.29%
Fly 1408.24%
Leg Raises 537.50%
Bicep Curl 427.98%
Lat Pulls 523.94%
Crunches 383.40%

The weights that I'm using still aren't earth shattering and where I started was pretty low, but this has helped my health more than anything I've used in years.

I was originally doing leg curls but the pain became pretty bad and constant from the spinal problem and I dropped it. I've added aerobic stuff on alternate days (with sundays off).

I've taken off 34 pounds and put on a great deal of muscle mass. This is the best workout plan I've ever seen. I haven't had any joint problems and the gains have come almost weekly, sometimes daily. I'm impressed that it takes a bit more than an hour for a good workout. (I do mine at the gym from 0230 to 0330; there's only one other guy there and I can move quickly from machine to machine).

Here's the big payoff: my pain has almost vanished. I still have a "stitch" or two in the neck and shoulders and my right leg hasn't felt this good in years. I know that the spinal problem will need attention eventually, but this is buying me some good time before going back under the knife.

Now the downside: none of my clothes fit anymore. :D

Great program, Dave! I'm hooked on it.

Blitzzz (RIP) 10-27-2010 12:23

I am posting this PM to me for the benefit of others.

Originally Posted by Blitzzz
I am very appreciative of your post, Thank you.
I am very glad for your health improvements and will assist you in any thing that may help further. I have never doubted the Blitz for all of it's benefits to a patron of it's use.
Results have always amazed me in their consistency.
Again, thank you. Someday I'd like to get it into the groups as a primary Fitness system.
Dave Boltz

Honestly Dave, If we would have had this back in the day, there would have been a lot better fitness and IMO fewer injuries. There were all sorts of theories on what we needed to do to maximize fitness and no one really had a good one. The daily dozen and scuba Pt were the only two I knew and both had major limitations.

I'm really impressed with it. When I read the science behind it, it made sense. I went ahead and went for it. I'm healthier now than I was when I retired.

Keep us posted. I think this is a real breakthrough in the field. Thanks for sending it to me. Now my wife is working out three times a week, too.

pplstrigger 10-28-2010 19:42

Success

Alcon - This is a copy of a PM i sent to Blitz. Per his request I am posting it as it was sent to him. For what its worth, in my opinion, the Blitz program works.

"Dave- Just wanted to take a moment to let you know that I graduated the Q on 01OCT. Thank you for the advice you gave me a few years ago when I requested a copy of your Blitz program. Your words did not fall on deaf ears. I am back Blitzing while also continuing to pursue my love of mountain bike racing and triathlon."

:lifter

bk4242 11-01-2010 14:21

First day thoughts...

Early this morning I began my first real day of the blitz workout. As a former collegiate athlete I have been through a myriad of physically demanding workouts so I thought this would quietly join the list. But I soon found out through lactic acid build up that this challenged me both physically and mentally (looking at the stop watch and realizing that i still had 30 more seconds of the exercise). Although it may be premature since it is only day one, I am excited to see the results in the months ahead before I ship to basic.

Bk

Quixote 11-16-2010 18:59

First day of blitz, some success and some failure.

Exercise - Weight - Goal Reps - Reps

Barbell Bench Press - 65lb - 64 - 50
Squats - Bodyweight - 60 - 48
Dumbbell weighted crunches - 30lb - 68 - 50
Barbell Preacher Curls - 20lb - 60 - 51
Upright cable rows - 70lb - 72 - 40

I was going to do Lat Pulldowns and Hamstring curls, but on the Lat machine there was way too much weight bounce for the speed I was trying to move it, and the Hamstring curl machine was broken.

Some thoughts - The barbell preacher curls burned. Maybe because I've never done bicep specific work before. The upright cable rows were absolute murder though. I did them after the preacher curls and my biceps just couldn't take it. I had to stop for a second or two to keep going and I still barely got above 40 reps. Either I need to find a new trap/shoulder workout that doesn't use biceps or drop the preacher curls. The problem is even if I do get the speed up, the pulley system is the same as the Lat bar, which was giving me all kinds of problems.

So I need to redesign the circuit some. I think the bench presses, squats, and curls are fine.

Anyone have any recommendations for some hamstring, shoulder, and back work? Machines don't really seem to be an option at the gym I'm near due to weight bounce, so I'm stuck with barbells and dumbbells.

Blitzzz (RIP) 11-16-2010 21:04

Maybe...

You can see why one muscle group per circuit. Yes one bicep exercise.
Try Flys, Shrugs, Crunches.
Just pick a couple of things to fill a circuit.

Quixote 11-16-2010 21:58

Here's what I'm thinking about trying now:

Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Squats
Overhead Press/Push Press?
Weighted crunches
Deadlifts/Stiff Leg Deadlifts?

I'm not sure about the overhead press or the push press. I'm not doing any dedicated triceps work, but they are ancillary muscles pretty often in this setup. Fundamentally I guess I won't know how they'll be hit until I try it. I'm also not sure about the deadlifts - Do deadlifts suffer the same problem as squats at low weight (low hamstring activation)? If they do, are stiff leg deadlifts a viable solution?

Blitzzz (RIP) 11-17-2010 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quixote (Post 357317)
Here's what I'm thinking about trying now:

Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Squats
Overhead Press/Push Press?
Weighted crunches
Deadlifts/Stiff Leg Deadlifts? These are recommended as it will be double tricep

I'm not sure about the overhead press or the push press. I'm not doing any dedicated triceps work, but they are ancillary muscles pretty often in this setup. Fundamentally I guess I won't know how they'll be hit until I try it. I'm also not sure about the deadlifts - Do deadlifts suffer the same problem as squats at low weight (low hamstring activation)? If they do, are stiff leg deadlifts a viable solution?

only way to exercise Hamstrings is to "Actively"Flex the Ham. Hams aren't worked in a squat

Quixote 11-17-2010 09:27

Hence the stiff leg deadlifts. Though I think I'll switch them to rack pulls. Interestingly, I was reading an experiment where a subject was hooked up to an EMG to test muscle fiber activation with various exercises and heavy rack pulls also seem to activate back muscles nearly as well as pull ups and weighted chin ups and far better than heavy bent over rows. Again, I don't know how much lower weight will affect the biomechanics of the movement, but I might need to swap out the barbell rows.

ksboi 11-25-2010 07:07

work out

Did my second workout for blitzzing. Went bad burned the whole time and then walked back to the company and legs felt like jelly here is what i did for exercises

Chest Press Machine
Cable Curls
Weighted Crunches
Leg Extension
Hack Squat machine
Lat Pulldown
Cable Flies

Also just got off profile so I will be taking the running and rucking easy for a while but I have scheduled a PT test in a couple months and I will see how blitzzing will improve my situps and run.

Blitzzz (RIP) 11-25-2010 08:04

To all Blitz user..

Gents, I have reviewed and revamped the Blitz worksheet on an Excell spreadsheet. The bugs are out and I'll send one out to anyone who want it . Just PM me your E-mail address. This sheet can be filled out and E-mailed to me for evaluations and comments. Blitzzz
Blitzzz@aol.com

ksboi 12-07-2010 01:20

two circuit

So I started with the muliti circuits yesterday. After the first circuit I felt good, stretched for four minutes then hit it again. I felt like I was going to puke after the third exercise. Some of the exercises I passed my reps and some stayed the same and some lower. I will keep on hitting it hard.

Blitzzz (RIP) 12-07-2010 21:40

For everyone...

Anyone Blitzing should use the excell spread sheet and Email a copy to me after starting. I can then update them here and critique and /or advise from solid numbers..
Thanks Blitzzz.

Irishsquid 12-10-2010 13:10

Could the Blitz protocol be used with good results in compound lifts? Clean & Press, Clean & Jerk, etc?

Some combination like:

Clean & Jerk
Squat
Lat pull
Hamstring Curl
Rear Delt Fly
Shrug
Crunch
Chest Fly

Or would it be dangerous to perform compound movements at Blitz speeds? If there is not sufficient data, I'll be happy to be the guinea pig...I have had good results with even my half-assed attempts at the Blitz protocol, but I really enjoy the compound lifts. Just a point of curiosity.

Blitzzz (RIP) 12-11-2010 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishsquid (Post 362295)
Could the Blitz protocol be used with good results in compound lifts? Clean & Press, Clean & Jerk, etc?

Some combination like:

Clean & Jerk
Squat
Lat pull
Hamstring Curl
Rear Delt Fly
Shrug
Crunch
Chest Fly

Or would it be dangerous to perform compound movements at Blitz speeds? If there is not sufficient data, I'll be happy to be the guinea pig...I have had good results with even my half-assed attempts at the Blitz protocol, but I really enjoy the compound lifts. Just a point of curiosity.

Safety first. PERFECT FORM, and 1/4 RM to start. Guinea pig is welcome..Thank keep me informed. Dave.

Irishsquid 12-11-2010 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 362501)
Safety first. PERFECT FORM, and 1/4 RM to start. Guinea pig is welcome..Thank keep me informed. Dave.

Well...was a great workout. I threw in clean & press as a sample compound lift. Only problem I found is that with the large range or motion of the clean and press, the reps are a lot lower than for static lifts. 8 reps in 15 seconds would bring my goal reps to 32 in one minute. Could have gone faster, but I was paying very strict attention to form. I'll keep it going for 4-6 weeks, and let you know how the results look.

Richard 12-12-2010 12:09

New Blitzz workouts? :confused:

http://www.*******.com/watch?v=RQmFv...eature=related

http://www.*******.com/watch?v=K1Jqt...eature=related

So it goes...

Richard :munchin

Blitzzz (RIP) 12-12-2010 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 362618)

Those are the results of some sort of workout, but not Blitz.
Where those guys are presently, is where they would start the Blitz and the Gains I have forecasted would still be in effect.
Although, they are impressive, they aren't better than P90X, Crossfit, or another system out there.

Irishsquid 12-12-2010 19:43

First video was primarily "front lever," and "planche," which are both common gymnastics training exercises. Not saying I could do them, but I agree, an advanced crossfitter should be able to do either. As for the second video...it's just a kipping pullup with a clap at the top. I may not knock out 20, but I check to see if I could do clapping pullups before I sat down, and they are definitely doable.

That said, I am still trying to work my way into a planche/planche-pushup. It takes a lot of balance, in addition to strength. Not the easiest thing in the world.

ksboi 12-17-2010 02:08

workout

1 Attachment(s)
This is after three weeks on it. Mon, Wed and Friday. I changed to Leg Curl from Leg extensions. Any help let me know. I also did running for the first time in about 2 months. Felt great to run, no more pain in my calf or hamstring. I can't wait to see after another month. Thank You

Irishsquid 12-21-2010 13:25

Blitz, with compound movements...

Well, I didn't get to start last week, due to some family issues. Monday I started my experimental Blitz, with sample compoud movement.

I'll keep the weights to myself, as I'm rehabbing from injury, and the numbers are embarrassing ;-)

I started with just one round. Tomorrow will be two rounds, friday will be 3.

Lat Pull: goal reps 60, actual reps 56
Chest Fly: goal reps 60, actual reps 52
Rear delt fly: Goal reps 60, actual reps 53
Hamstring curl: Goal reps 72, actual reps 65
Clean & press: Goal reps 32, actual reps 26 (low rep counts due to the large range of motion and very strict attention to form)
Deadlift: goal reps 56, actual reps 47
Back squat: goal reps 60, actual reps 45

I'm going to dial back the weight on the deadlift and back squat, as I'm a little sore today. Everything else went well, and I'll work on the rep count for C&P once I'm sure I can do it without injury.

Blitzzz (RIP) 12-21-2010 13:34

Good Thinking

This is interesting for me. You seem to have it right. I had not figured multiple joint exercises and am aware that rep counts well necessarily be lower but velocity should not be. I'll run some numbers on combined movements.Good thinking on the "soreness" factor.

Thanks for the good work.

ksboi 12-22-2010 01:11

update

So after tweaking my workout and doing lying hamstring curls. I can say that it has improved my run time. I used the elyptical trainner since my ankle was still tender but on my usual level of resistance i kept a 9.5 mph pace for 3 miles without being over excerted. Nomore hard breathing after one mile no burning in my legs after a few minutes. I have a PT test coming up and i will post my before and after run times. Thank Blittzz

ksboi 01-18-2011 07:04

Finally talked two guys into trying it with. After them whinning about not feeling sore the next day we adjusted the weights a little more to get 1/4 the max weight and they enjoy it. Will keep yall posted.

Irishsquid 01-18-2011 12:45

Just an update: been out of it for a while...dealing with some pretty severe chemical burns. As of last week, though I'm able to work out again, and will be back to it this coming week. I will likely just start over, as several weeks have likely set me back to my starting point. Will post results.

Suivez Moi 02-05-2011 13:45

The gym on my FOB is very small and most of the time it is pretty crowded. Could I do two or three sets depending on the day of each lift and then move on to the next? Would that mess up the routine to badly?

In the gym it is not feasible to have that many machines/areas tied up at one time. I am going on R&R very soon and when I return I am going to start Blitzing.

seak38 04-11-2011 22:59

Big questions for starting Blitz

I just read 24 (24!) pages of thread, and am glad to see everyone's pleasant suprise at such results using Blitz. It's got me psyched! I'd love to be a SFAS-Prep guinea pig :lifter (PM me if you're interested, no ship-date yet). But a couple questions, which might help future Blitzers:

1. What would an effective home/portable Blitz gym have in it, if you can only access pulley-machines at your local gym?

2. Is Blitz possible without a workout buddy?

3. Is there a best circuit of exercises to prepare for 18X, or does it depend on the person's physical fitness at the time?

4. I've seen the Science behind Blitz mentioned, and would love to read a little of the theory behind the whole system, if you've got the time.

Thanks, and I hope that this will help inform the confused and curious.

The Reaper 04-12-2011 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by seak38 (Post 386205)
I just read 24 (24!) pages of thread, and am glad to see everyone's pleasant suprise at such results using Blitz. It's got me psyched! I'd love to be a SFAS-Prep guinea pig :lifter (PM me if you're interested, no ship-date yet). But a couple questions, which might help future Blitzers:

1. What would an effective home/portable Blitz gym have in it, if you can only access pulley-machines at your local gym?

3. Is there a best circuit of exercises to prepare for 18X, or does it depend on the person's physical fitness at the time?

4. I've seen the Science behind Blitz mentioned, and would love to read a little of the theory behind the whole system, if you've got the time.

Thanks, and I hope that this will help inform the confused and curious.

Your first exercise events should probably be rereading the rules and stickies and running to the Intro thread to take care of business there.

TR

Dozer523 04-12-2011 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by seak38 (Post 386205)
2. Is Blitz possible without a workout buddy?Thanks, and I hope that this will help inform the confused and curious.

Don't sweat that. You've already made a friend.

seak38 04-16-2011 20:59

Oops

Could've sworn I posted an intro, looks like I did not. Sorry for breach of SOP!

Blitzzz (RIP) 04-22-2011 14:28

From Blitzzz...

[QUOTE=seak38;386205]I just read 24 (24!) pages of thread, and am glad to see everyone's pleasant suprise at such results using Blitz. It's got me psyched! I'd love to be a SFAS-Prep guinea pig :lifter (PM me if you're interested, no ship-date yet). But a couple questions, which might help future Blitzers:

Check the "Bodylastics" band system. also there the Coture band system but you'll need to augment with some lighter bands to Blitz, same with the "Tower of Power'" by Body be Jack. there is a pretty good Lecerage system built buy "Stamina" called the "Viper".

Very difficult to count reps without a Partner. but possible with a good timer or large sweep hand clock hinging in front of you.

Blitz is an exercise Method and allows the individual to design circuits to match needs. PM me for suggestions if you want.

PM me is you'd want more than I've sent you.

Thanks, and I hope that this will help inform the confused and curious.[/QUOTE

Hope this helps...and anyone using should post some for the others.

Milktrckcopilot 04-28-2011 13:44

Blitzzz,

PM sent

MTCP

Blitzzz (RIP) 05-13-2011 14:48

Just a thought...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishsquid (Post 369928)
Just an update: been out of it for a while...dealing with some pretty severe chemical burns. As of last week, though I'm able to work out again, and will be back to it this coming week. I will likely just start over, as several weeks have likely set me back to my starting point. Will post results.

A couple of weeks probably will not set you back much...Let me know... Good luck.