Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   PT/ H2H (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Blitz only Thread (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24099)

Blitzzz (RIP) 05-19-2010 15:04

Quick note.
 
Just thought some would like to know we just went International.

I received request for Blitz system by two fellows of the British Royal Marines.

See how it goes, I've ask them to post here also.

Question to "forward" is the %s you gave , what your last bump was?

forward 05-19-2010 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 331562)
Question to "forward" is the %s you gave , what your last bump was?

Sir,

Correct, weight reflected this week in WT column is the % I added to move the weight up from last week (after hitting goal reps in all 3 rounds) and still be within 10-12 reps of max.

v/r,

Forward

olhamada 05-21-2010 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 330605)
Doctor,

Could you provide some tangible numbers on the improvements you witnessed while on the Blitz? Max lifts, VO2 Max, etc.?

As for the program making physiologic sense, is it safe to attempt multiple overspeed eccentrics in a compound movement like the squat, as would have to be done to execute 80 in a minute, especially under load?

Furthermore, at loads light enough to sustain for the required reps at the required velocity, can strength actually be improved in a non-Novice athlete, or even a Novice athlete beyond the very first stages of adaptation?

Finally, what type of athlete would you recommend the program for? What level of training adaptation, what types of goals, etc.?

Sean,

I'm sorry for my delayed response. I didn't want to ignore your question. I've just been snowed under and have just now come up for air.

So your questions - In terms of my own personal improvements - I did not complete the program for two reasons. First, it is almost impossible to do this program correctly without a buddy and given my schedule, I have trouble working out at the same time and at the same place from day to day. So I did not have a consistent workout partner and was usually working out on my own. Secondly, I've been locked into a year long membership at D1 ($150/month) which utilizes NFL-level trainers and coaches and had trouble not taking full advantage of my membership there whenever possible.

Re question 2 - Yes, it is safe given the loads the Blitzzz uses. I would not try it with 50% or heavier loads. In my opinion, the primary limiting factors with the recommended loads and intensity are joint health, lactate thresholds, and equipment limitations. As long as the muscle is being worked in its normal range of motion, with a light load, even at that speed of movement, the muscles and tendons are not maximally loaded or stressed. Maximally fatigued - yes. Maximally stressed and endangered - no.

Third question - Of course, you won't see the same strength gains as you would in a program designed primarily for strength gains such as one with high load and low(er) reps. But, remember strength is not the main goal here. Endurance, flexibility, proprioception, injury prevention, rehabilitation are. Strength is secondary. That said, you can make very good strength gains here as well by recruitment of secondary and tertiary muscle fibers that ordinarily would not be utilized in a pure strength program, by swelling (edema) of primary fibers, and by increased vascular flow and neural growth in all fibers.

Fourth question - any athlete in need of balanced improvements in speed, flexibility, proprioception, endurance, and strength. Of course, not every program works for everyone. And you may at times want to focus on one area over the general improvement overall (i.e. - pure strength, explosiveness, flexibility, definition, etc....) and thus utilize a different program for a while.

Now these are my opinions, and Dave may or may not agree with me. :-) So Dave, if you have another perspective, please comment.

Irishsquid 05-24-2010 02:36

I've started the Blitz several times in the past, and never done it properly AND stuck with it for more than a couple weeks. Even at that, I've seen a jump in endurance, and some growth in strength.

This time, I've done it properly, and just finished my third week. I've increased my weight by 20% since starting, on all exercises except overhead press. I'm still unable to hit goal reps for even one circuit on overhead press at 1/3 of 1rm. On all other exercises, my reps dropped by around 20 reps per minute when I increased the weight, but are quickly creeping back up.

My question: should I lower the weight on overhead press? Seems my lack of progress on that lift might mean I'm using too much weight.

Also, I've gotten one friend of mine, as of monday, to start Blitzing with me, and another may start soon.

One more question, if you don't mind: I'm Blitzing Mon-Wed-Fri, pure cardio Tue and Thurs. Will it be counterproductive in any way if I start "maxing out," on saturdays, just to keep track of my strength gains?

Razor 05-24-2010 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishsquid (Post 332309)
One more question, if you don't mind: I'm Blitzing Mon-Wed-Fri, pure cardio Tue and Thurs. Will it be counterproductive in any way if I start "maxing out," on saturdays, just to keep track of my strength gains?

Progression
Regularity
Overload
Variety
RECOVERY
Balance
Specificity

Blitzzz (RIP) 05-24-2010 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishsquid (Post 332309)
I've started the Blitz several times in the past, and never done it properly AND stuck with it for more than a couple weeks. Even at that, I've seen a jump in endurance, and some growth in strength.

This time, I've done it properly, and just finished my third week. I've increased my weight by 20% since starting, on all exercises except overhead press. I'm still unable to hit goal reps for even one circuit on overhead press at 1/3 of 1rm. On all other exercises, my reps dropped by around 20 reps per minute when I increased the weight, but are quickly creeping back up.

My question: should I lower the weight on overhead press? Seems my lack of progress on that lift might mean I'm using too much weight.

Also, I've gotten one friend of mine, as of monday, to start Blitzing with me, and another may start soon.

One more question, if you don't mind: I'm Blitzing Mon-Wed-Fri, pure cardio Tue and Thurs. Will it be counterproductive in any way if I start "maxing out," on saturdays, just to keep track of my strength gains?

Answer to the Overhead press question: If you are sure of your One RM then I'd suggest dropping about 5% of your start weight. Out of curiosity, what was your first 15 sec count with that weight. if it is 10 or less then weight is too high if it's over twenty, then you should be able to hit goal reps. But dropping weight will increase rep speed and you can catch up from there. Another option is to do only one circuit of the OPs until you get within 75% of goal reps and then do two circuits until same results.

Actually when Blitzing, "pure cardio" days are totally unnecessary. Blitzing is a cardio workout that will be all you need.. and doing those days may be affecting your Blitz speeds as you're not getting enough recovery time. I recommend dropping the cardio for a few weeks and see the differences.

A periodic Max weight check shouldn't necessarily be needed until the end. You can always multiply you new weight By 3 and get a good idea of what your actual new 1 RM is.

Sounds like your doing Good. Don't over do it.
Maxing out is definitely detrimental to your Blitz progress.

DAVE

Irishsquid 05-25-2010 00:52

First 15 seconds was 15 reps, putting goal reps at 60. I have been unable to hit 50 reps...just running out of gas too quickly. Today, I dropped the weight a very little bit, and got up to 57 reps...probably by the end of the week, I'll be ready to move up. Everything else is progressing nicely. I'll likely be increasing the weight again for crunches, shrugs, and leg curls by the end of the week. Not quite yet for leg extensions, but soon, I think.

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-04-2010 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by olhamada (Post 331936)
Sean,

I'm sorry for my delayed response. I didn't want to ignore your question. I've just been snowed under and have just now come up for air.

So your questions - In terms of my own personal improvements - I did not complete the program for two reasons. First, it is almost impossible to do this program correctly without a buddy and given my schedule, I have trouble working out at the same time and at the same place from day to day. So I did not have a consistent workout partner and was usually working out on my own. Secondly, I've been locked into a year long membership at D1 ($150/month) which utilizes NFL-level trainers and coaches and had trouble not taking full advantage of my membership there whenever possible.

Re question 2 - Yes, it is safe given the loads the Blitzzz uses. I would not try it with 50% or heavier loads. In my opinion, the primary limiting factors with the recommended loads and intensity are joint health, lactate thresholds, and equipment limitations. As long as the muscle is being worked in its normal range of motion, with a light load, even at that speed of movement, the muscles and tendons are not maximally loaded or stressed. Maximally fatigued - yes. Maximally stressed and endangered - no.

Third question - Of course, you won't see the same strength gains as you would in a program designed primarily for strength gains such as one with high load and low(er) reps. But, remember strength is not the main goal here. Endurance, flexibility, proprioception, injury prevention, rehabilitation are. Strength is secondary. That said, you can make very good strength gains here as well by recruitment of secondary and tertiary muscle fibers that ordinarily would not be utilized in a pure strength program, by swelling (edema) of primary fibers, and by increased vascular flow and neural growth in all fibers.

Fourth question - any athlete in need of balanced improvements in speed, flexibility, proprioception, endurance, and strength. Of course, not every program works for everyone. And you may at times want to focus on one area over the general improvement overall (i.e. - pure strength, explosiveness, flexibility, definition, etc....) and thus utilize a different program for a while.

Now these are my opinions, and Dave may or may not agree with me. :-) So Dave, if you have another perspective, please comment.

Good words all. You've tasted it and felt it, and have a good feel for it.. You didn't get to receive the strength gains yet. I can't concede those to any other system either. They can't exercise the 3rds and can never develop that potential.

Thanks for my back.

Irishsquid 06-05-2010 06:52

I'm going to try switching over to a upper body day/lower body day workout...I have a bowflex at home...missing a few attachments, but everything I need for my upper body days...then I'll just head to the gym on my lower body days. That said...if I'm supposed to get 6-8 exercises in, I don't know how I can come up with 6 upper and 6 lower body exercises without overtraining some body part.

Doing it all on the same day, I was doing the following exercises

Lat Pull
Overhead Press
Cable Flies
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Shrugs
Crunches (on lat pull machine)



Any suggestions for breaking this up into a 2-day routine? As an aside, I'm probably going to be taking a few weeks to work on technique in my primary lifts (squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, press) then start a "new," cycle of Blitz, using the 2 day workout routine.

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-05-2010 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishsquid (Post 334022)
I'm going to try switching over to a upper body day/lower body day workout...I have a bowflex at home...missing a few attachments, but everything I need for my upper body days...then I'll just head to the gym on my lower body days. That said...if I'm supposed to get 6-8 exercises in, I don't know how I can come up with 6 upper and 6 lower body exercises without overtraining some body part.

Doing it all on the same day, I was doing the following exercises

Lat Pull
Overhead Press
Cable Flies
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Shrugs
Crunches (on lat pull machine)



Any suggestions for breaking this up into a 2-day routine? As an aside, I'm probably going to be taking a few weeks to work on technique in my primary lifts (squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, press) then start a "new," cycle of Blitz, using the 2 day workout routine.

Upper body:
Lat Pulls, (Lats)
reverse flys, Posterior Deltiod and rhomboids
flys, (Pecs and Anterior Deltiod)
Seated rows upper rhomboids biceps
Shrugs Traps
Wrist curls full range.Fore arms
CrunchesABs
Lower:
Heel raises Calves
Leg extensions Thighs
Standing Kick backs (single leg)Gluts
Hamstring curls HAMS
Toe raisesAnterior Tibs
Seated internal and external hip rotationsHip rotators
( this one is done seated by pulling your foot inward and out ward.)

Hope this helps...Dave

Irishsquid 06-06-2010 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 334041)
Seated internal and external hip rotationsHip rotators
(this one is done seated by pulling your foot inward and out ward.)

I'll have to find a good way to do that one with a cable machine. Either that, or I have to talk the wife into letting me buy resistance bands...

EasyIan 06-08-2010 15:12

First Blitz Post
 
Yesterday I began my first Blitz program and was quite impressed. As of late I have been "Testing the waters" of many different endurance programs and for once I feel like I might have found one suitable for me. What I enjoyed most about the program is that the workouts are short and simple, however they do not compromise intensity.

I have decided to do a split routine with three areas of concentration; Core, upper body, and legs. I plan on doing each superset twice a week with Sundays off for total recoup. Yesterday was an upper body day. I did lat pull downs, benchpress, military press, shrugs, preacher curls, forearm curls and tricep pull downs. For the most part my maximum lift divided by 3 was tough, however I did have to add weight to the bench and tricep pull downs. Since I generally bench for repetition and not so much weight I kind of expected this. Regardless the weight had to be increased for me to be smoked towards the end of the exercises.

Moving along. Today will be a leg day. I have not yet decided on the exercises but it will not be intensive as my core and U.B. workouts because I will have to continue running on a regular basis for training purposes. I understand that it is not recommended so I plan on keeping them as short as possible and will schedule around my leg blitz. Since I ruck and run quite a bit I'm hoping no problems will arise. Next post will be one week from today I look forward to it.

Intensity builds immensity,
Ian

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-14-2010 18:30

Some points of interest.
 
EasyIan, This is a good post but I have some suggestions.
Blitzing should not be confused with "super sets", and any weight you determined should not be modified for "fatigue". Enhancing weights to achieve fatigue will probably create some DOMS and slower reps than determined by your first 15 sec count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyIan (Post 334383)
Yesterday I began my first Blitz program and was quite impressed. As of late I have been "Testing the waters" of many different endurance programs and for once I feel like I might have found one suitable for me. What I enjoyed most about the program is that the workouts are short and simple, however they do not compromise intensity.

I have decided to do a split routine with three areas of concentration; Core, upper body, and legs. I plan on doing each superset twice a week with Sundays off for total recoup. Yesterday was an upper body day. I did lat pull downs, benchpress, military press, shrugs, preacher curls, forearm curls and tricep pull downs. For the most part my maximum lift divided by 3 was tough, however I did have to add weight to the bench and tricep pull downs. Since I generally bench for repetition and not so much weight I kind of expected this. Regardless the weight had to be increased for me to be smoked towards the end of the exercises.
Splitting work outs is a good management tool for more frequent workouts, but do not exercise the same muscle group twice in one circuit. i.e..benches and triceps curls are the same on triceps as is military press. I suggest picking one and add some other upper exercises, like flies or rows.


Moving along. Today will be a leg day. I have not yet decided on the exercises but it will not be intensive as my core and U.B. workouts because I will have to continue running on a regular basis for training purposes. I understand that it is not recommended so I plan on keeping them as short as possible and will schedule around my leg blitz. Since I ruck and run quite a bit I'm hoping no problems will arise. Next post will be one week from today I look forward to it.
SUGGESTED Legs:
Squats
Ham curls,
Heel raises,
Internal hip rotation,
external hip rotations,
Kick backs.


Intensity builds immensity,
Ian


forward 06-14-2010 19:13

For the benefit of others contemplating this program, I post the following for your consideration.

My initial weights, my final weight and goal repetitions:
Incline Bench: 75/155/92
Half Squat: 100/285/96
Lat Pull: 90/202.5/64
Calf Raises: 105/200/128
Seated Row: 50/107.5/88
Shrugs: 60/110/144

Personal experience and overview:

The mental pain this program brought to the table is horrid in the best of ways. It was like running head on into a wall of fatigue then watching your body go into shock- yet you keep going. It is an experience that makes me shutter and smile like a sadist at the same time.

In the eleven weeks it took me to max out the Blitz Program I did not suffered any injury or strain any muscles, joints or ligaments that took me out for an extended period of recovery. I did however have intense fatigue during the workouts. I do not even remotely feel fatigued now doing “other PT regiments” as required by my command. The muscle endurance and active recovery rate I have developed are the best benefits in my opinion of this program. Strength-a given. Power- a definite plus. Endurance and the ability to get right back up and knock out another 100 body squats after a 10 second break-incredible.

I followed Dave’s program and sought guidance when I wasn’t clear on an area. What did I have to lose? In the end, I was still lifting, still moving weight, so why not try his method? In the words of Hunter S. Thompson, “buy the ticket, take the ride.” It is worth the cost for the benefit received, IMHO.

However, YMMV.

Very Respectfully,

Forward

"I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference."

Stingray 06-15-2010 03:39

Blitzing
 
Hello Blitz,

I did the first week and I have come up with some problems. Here are the 8 exercises I was using.

Lat Pull downs
V-ups in machine
Leg Extensions
Chest Press
Leg Press
Military Press
Hamstring Curls
Bicep Curls

My problem is the machines I have access to are cables. The leg extensions and leg curls jump off my leg at the speed I move the weight at. I am forced to slow down to control the weight or wait on it to come back down to my leg. Are there some alternatives with free weights?
I only have three days to Blitz. I would like to hit my traps also. Do you have any suggestions on my exercise choices?

I will post my beginning data once I get the list done and start rocking.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-15-2010 05:28

A quick look...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 335234)
Hello Blitz,

I did the first week and I have come up with some problems. Here are the 8 exercises I was using.

Lat Pull downs
V-ups in machine
Leg Extensions
Chest Press
Leg Press
Military Press
Hamstring Curls
Bicep Curls

My problem is the machines I have access to are cables. The leg extensions and leg curls jump off my leg at the speed I move the weight at. I am forced to slow down to control the weight or wait on it to come back down to my leg. Are there some alternatives with free weights?
I only have three days to Blitz. I would like to hit my traps also. Do you have any suggestions on my exercise choices?
OK, Three times a week is more than fine. Cable machines are always a problem with rep speeds. Switch to bands if you can or look for a leverage machine. You have eight exercises and that is usually enough, so you may try to change one of the leg exercises to shrugs for traps. Two leg exercises is too much for the thighs. Of the two I'd keep the leg press and switch the leg extensions to shrugs. Blitz

I will post my beginning data once I get the list done and start rocking.

Sincerely,

Keep good records and good luck.

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-15-2010 14:48

Note to free weight lifters
 
Just those using free weights with the Blitz.
I have seen reference by some about "pain" when using free weights. I went back over the stats and have a recommendation for those using free weights. My suggestion at present without doing the physics, But if using free weights divide the 1RM by 4 as opposed to 3.
So...if using free weights use 1/4th 1RM as your start weight.

Reason: Due to the velocity of the reps the weight increases resistance at the bottom of the movement. The increased resistance is due to inertia of the weight moving downward and the increased effort to reverse the movement of the weight.

Dave

forward 06-15-2010 18:17

Max weight: Then and Now
 
Below is the comparison from my initial one repetition maxs and current one rep maxs.

Several weights have reps next to them. I maxed out the weight stack so I did as many reps to failure to assist in gauging.

I am 76", 230 lbs to give context to weight moved.

Event: Initial Max-Current Max
Incline Press: 225-365
Half Squat (to 90 deg): 300-705
Lat Pull: 270-310 (X16 reps)
Seated Row: 150-310 (X4 reps)
Calf Raises: 300-400 (x18 reps)
Shrugs: 180-300 (150lb each hand X12 reps lost my grip and not using wrist grips)

V/r,

Forward

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-15-2010 18:23

Outstanding!
 
LOL, I wonder what these numbers mean in "real" weight.
Actually looks really good. Good Job, and Thanks, Dave

GratefulCitizen 06-15-2010 19:14

Took a closer look at your Blitz program.
It resembles, in some respects, the "Power Factor" training (using partial reps) which was around in the late '90s.

Did a variation of the power factor training.
Worked quite well.

Best part was getting to the point where workouts were only 40 minutes once every 6-7 days.
Down side was running out of big enough equipment, and tearing callouses off of the hands. (Bought hooks in case such a thing is tried again...)
Got boring after awhile, too.

Blitz program seems to be better all-around, and safer.

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-15-2010 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen (Post 335338)
Took a closer look at your Blitz program.
It resembles, in some respects, the "Power Factor" training (using partial reps) which was around in the late '90s.

Did a variation of the power factor training.
Worked quite well.

Best part was getting to the point where workouts were only 40 minutes once every 6-7 days.
Down side was running out of big enough equipment, and tearing callouses off of the hands. (Bought hooks in case such a thing is tried again...)
Got boring after awhile, too.

Blitz program seems to be better all-around, and safer.

Interesting system, and at first glance does resemble Blitzing. Doesn't address tertiary system or endurance. I couldn't find any results similar to Blitzing.

Looks like they were on the right track just didn't develop it enough to achieve full potential. They varied rep speeds for different affects, although they looked at cumulative weight loads. Looks pretty good.

Stingray 06-15-2010 23:25

Day 1 Numbers
 
Hello Blitz,

I do have access to bands for hamstrings, but it is only one level of resistence. So I stayed on the cables unless you have a recommendation with regards to switching to some other hamstring exercise (stiff leg deadlift, etc).

Exercise Max Rep wt. Goal Reps Reps
Lat Pull downs 210 70 64 54
V-ups 100 30 60 57
Leg Press 480 180 68 64
Chest Press 200 80 80 58
Hamstring Curls 150 50 44 37
Shrugs 120 40 96 92
Military Press 120 40 96 52
Bicep Curls 80 20 96 58

Bicep curls, I used free weights therefore dropped to 20% instead of 33%.
Ham Curls I had to slow down to control the weight, but by the the end of the minute I was still pretty smoked even at 37 reps.

Overall, during the workout I didn't feel overly fatigued. But at the end of the set I felt similar to running intervals. Both my heart rate was up high and my breath was short. I certainly felt like I worked out hard.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-16-2010 06:09

Looks like a good start.
 
Couple of notes:
You "may" feel some soreness with the Hams as you rep speed was below 40.
Second, as you are working the triceps twice in one circuit you will see lower reps in the second one of the circuit.(Military press)
Drop it if the reps don't look right.

Dave

Stingray 06-16-2010 06:11

Blitz only Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 335387)
Couple of notes:
You "may" feel some soreness with the Hams as you rep speed was below 40.
Second, as you are working the triceps twice in one circuit you will see lower reps in the second one of the circuit.(Military press)
Drop it if the reps don't look right.

Dave

Roger that.

EasyIan 06-16-2010 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 335213)
and any weight you determined should not be modified for "fatigue". Enhancing weights to achieve fatigue will probably create some DOMS and slower reps than determined by your first 15 sec count.

Good Afternoon Blitz,

I feel I was a little misleading when I said "smoked", and that it would have been more accurate to say I was completing the goal reps for the three minutes. At this point I was physically able to do more repetitions but the floating lag produced by the pulley system was actually preventing me from increasing the repetitions per minute. Thinking I could effectively combat this I added weight, which to my dismay produced a more weight lifter like scenario. So to cut my long story short I ended up getting my hands on a Bowflex, dropped the weight back down, and have had better results since.

BOWFLEX + BLITZ = GOOD
PULLEYS + BLITZ = NOT AS GOOD

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-16-2010 14:57

Yes, Equipment will make a difference.
 
Remember the Bow flex has 5# increments and to get more precise you should purchase wrist weights that allow 1 lb incremental increments.

And a note to Forward: I checked your posted weights and reps with "National Strength and Conditioning Association's RM calculator and these are your 1RMs for the exercises you did with multiple reps:
Lat Pulls 310 x 16 reps = 1RM of 458 lbs.
Seated Row 310 x 4 reps =347.2 lb 1RM.
Calf raises 400 x 18 reps = 616lbs 1RM.
Shrugs 300 x 12 reps = 430 lbs 1RM.
How do like those numbers? Dave

EasyIan 06-16-2010 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 335432)
Remember the Bow flex has 5# increments and to get more precise you should purchase wrist weights that allow 1 lb incremental increments.

I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

Ian

Irishsquid 06-23-2010 13:19

Blitz,
I'm currently studying for a MAJOR IT exam, which my job depends on. As such, I haven't exactly been Blitzing properly for the last few weeks. That said, when I do have time, I'm doing the upper body days on my bowflex at home...and it's great...alleviates all the problems I was having with the cable machines. Only problem I have is that I have to estimate what my 1rm would be for some exercises (lat pull, etc)

I'm planning to order a 200# weight upgrade, so should be good there. I take the aforementioned test tomorrow morning, so I'll be starting back on the Blitz first thing monday...I'm just going to start over clean with the exercises you suggested. I'll post starting numbers for upper- and lower-body days as soon as I have 'em.

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-23-2010 17:24

Try This...
 
Irishsquid, Go to "Critical Bench.com" and look up their "weight training chart" and they have a 1RM calculator that will project your 1 RM from what eve reps you are doing at a lower weight.

example: 165# done at 9 reps give you a 1 RM of 215#.
It's a nice chart for this.
Dave

GratefulCitizen 06-23-2010 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 336366)
Irishsquid, Go to "Critical Bench.com" and look up their "weight training chart" and they have a 1RM calculator that will project your 1 RM from what eve reps you are doing at a lower weight.

example: 165# done at 9 reps give you a 1 RM of 215#.
It's a nice chart for this.
Dave

Found that the chart projected a quite a bit on the high side for anything over 10 reps.
(Progressively worse as reps increased.)

Projected a bit on the low side 4-6 reps, but pretty close.

MILON 06-23-2010 19:31

There is a good article here for estimating your 1RM. Its never a truly exact science, even if you are doing a true 1RM, which isn't a very safe way of doing it anyway. Another tool for readers......

http://www.xlathlete.com/xl/export/d...7343048009.pdf

Milon

forward 06-23-2010 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 335432)
And a note to Forward: I checked your posted weights and reps with "National Strength and Conditioning Association's RM calculator and these are your 1RMs for the exercises you did with multiple reps:
Lat Pulls 310 x 16 reps = 1RM of 458 lbs.
Seated Row 310 x 4 reps =347.2 lb 1RM.
Calf raises 400 x 18 reps = 616lbs 1RM.
Shrugs 300 x 12 reps = 430 lbs 1RM.
How do like those numbers? Dave

Sir,

I like it! Back to PT.

V/r,

Forward

GratefulCitizen 06-23-2010 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MILON (Post 336376)
There is a good article here for estimating your 1RM. Its never a truly exact science, even if you are doing a true 1RM, which isn't a very safe way of doing it anyway. Another tool for readers......

http://www.xlathlete.com/xl/export/d...7343048009.pdf

Milon

Just posted an assessment based on my own history.
Blitz's example @ 9 reps seemed to be near the best range for that particular calculator.
Results vary significantly among individuals, but a some general bias can be found in most of these calculators.

The xl athlete seems to overestimate from low reps and high reps.
Found the greatest accuracy around 5 reps.


There is also the issue of the difference between "perfomance" max and "training" max.

Can't remember the name of the guy, but he used to be the head of sports medicine for the former Soviet Union.
Wrote an excellent book; can't remember the his name or the book's name.:(

He distinguished between training and performance maximums.
The training max, whether done directly or indirectly, was only valid if the athlete was able to do it while keeping his heart rate below a certain level prior to attempting the lift.

The theory was that "psyching" for the lift (cranking up your sympathetic nervous system) was something which you should only do at performance time.
Results were better when training was designed with this in mind.

He believed that constantly cranking up your SNS led to poor recovery, injuries, overtraining, and underperformance at competition time.

Fortunately, Blitz's system naturally herds you into the appropriate excercise levels.

MILON 06-23-2010 22:38

Gratefulcitizen,

The xlathlete method of 1RM testing is definitely more accurate if the weight is closer to the athletes 3-5 RM. I prefer it because it's safer than testing at a true (training) 1RM load and more accurate than testing at higher reps. The downfall of testing this way is how subjective it is. Its up to how you feel or how your coach/tester interprets your bar speed.

I believe the book and author(s) you are talking about is Supertraining by Yuri Verkhoshansky and Mel Siff. The author discusses training maxima vs competitive maxima on page 2 of this book if anyone out there has it. He also cites Zitorsky repetitively throughout this section, referring to his book Science and Practice of Strength Training. Both excellent training resources

It states in the book that training maxima is always less than your competitive maxima because optimal motivation only occurs under competitive conditions. Zitorsky defines a training max as the heaviest load which one can lift without substantial emotional excitement, as indicated by a very significant rise in heart rate before the lift. Its also important to consider that a training max can vary from day to day whereas a competitive max is more stable given the environment and level of excitation needed.

Another interesting point made in his book is the difference between the "less qualified athlete" and the "elite athlete". Verkhoshansky goes on to state that competitive maxima is the most effective way to determine training intensity, however this is only needed for elite level athletes. The majority of the population can use their training maxima as effective tool for determining training loads.


Verkhoshansky also has a website.
http://www.verkhoshansky.com/Home/tabid/83/Default.aspx

Milon

GratefulCitizen 06-23-2010 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MILON (Post 336399)
He also cites Zitorsky repetitively throughout this section, referring to his book Science and Practice of Strength Training. Both excellent training resources

Believe that's the one.
Thanks for the links.

Stingray 06-28-2010 01:28

Blitzing
 
Hello Blitz,

As per your advice I dumped the military press. My mp reps were not going any where and my chest press actually went down. Only by a couple reps, but down. Since, my chest press reps have improved a lot. Great tip.

Two questions.
1. What do I do if my machine weight increments exceed the % increases used in the system?

2. This has happened a couple of times. Going through the sequence, and someone jumps on the machine before I get there. How long is too long to wait and move on to the next excersice and come back? I have hesitated doing this since I haven't waited longer than 45 seconds or so. But thought I would check.

Thanks Blitz.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP) 06-28-2010 10:11

Answers.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 336869)
Hello Blitz,

As per your advice I dumped the military press. My mp reps were not going any where and my chest press actually went down. Only by a couple reps, but down. Since, my chest press reps have improved a lot. Great tip.

Two questions.
1. What do I do if my machine weight increments exceed the % increases used in the system?
First, Never round up. Secondly I use wrist/ankle weights that have 1 lb pockets and add or subtract as needed.

2. This has happened a couple of times. Going through the sequence, and someone jumps on the machine before I get there. How long is too long to wait and move on to the next excersice and come back? I have hesitated doing this since I haven't waited longer than 45 seconds or so. But thought I would check.
On this one its best to be with in 4 minutes but you could go out to 10.
Thanks Blitz.

Sincerely,

Hope this helps. Blitzzz

Stingray 06-28-2010 23:32

Blitzzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz (Post 336914)
Hope this helps. Blitzzz

Yes sir it does. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Blitzzz (RIP) 08-08-2010 00:27

Blitz replys
 
Hey guys, there are about 250 of you out there who have copies of the Blitz. It would be nice to see some post with success or failures and any related problem. Your comments may help others who share similar issues or successes. Blitzzz

Irishsquid 08-08-2010 03:36

Blitzzz,

Here's my results (don't have the exact numbers, so it will be qualitative, not quantitative.)

First 2 weeks, massive increase in endurance on all exercises.

Next 3 weeks, rapid increase in strength.

Lat pull, added more than 80 lbs to the max...increases in other areas were not as dramatic, but were still impressive.

5 weeks is the longest I have been able, thus far, to maintain the blitz protocol. Life got in the way...or rather, I allowed other things to take precedence over my workout.



Edit: while I did see an impressive increase in strength and endurance, I saw no noticeable improvement in my runs, either in time or distance.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57.


Copyright 2004-2020 by Professional Soldiers ®